Knobs VS. Graphic EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddtodd, Jul 31, 2005.

1. so my first gigging bass amp was a GK 800RB. i really liked it but i wanted more power/headroom.
    so i bought a SUNN1200s.
    i really like this amp.
    i dislike the fact that there is only a bass and treble knob.
    there is also a graphic EQ.
    i think i found over the years of guitar playing that i dont really like graphic EQ's.
    so i just bought a GK 1001RB II, and if i like it i will sell the sunn.
    i am happy that i will have the low and high mid knobs.
    now i know there is more tweak-ablility with the graphic EQ, but i think im a "knob" EQ guy.
    am i the only one?

im interested to what you all will have to say...

2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    You're definitely not alone. I personally prefer the simplest tone control possible. If an amp doesn't sound pretty darn good without a ton of tweaking, then I lose interest fast. I think I suffer from an affliction that I've heard referred to as "option anxiety", which basically means that if I have 12 sliders in my EQ section, I'll turn to the amp after every song and adjust the sliders in tiny little increments in search of that perfect tone that I just know has to be lurking inside the amp somewhere. The same holds true for parametric EQ's. I play around with the frequency or Q until it sounds horrible and I have to start all over again. I'm sure it's purely psychological, because if I have 3 or 4 tone knobs I set it, forget it, and get back to doing this---> :bassist:
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    for bass stuff, my main preamps are the DB680 and HBP-1. so, the more EQ options the better.

bass is especially tricky when you're dealing with a variety of rooms and venues, and a highly versatile EQ is your only real ally.
  4. I'll take a good parametric over a graphic any day. Never found a graphic I liked the sound of.

5. With an Orange combo, Gallien Krueger 400RB III and 800RB under my belt I can cetainly say I am much more of a Knob person- I've tryed the grapgic EQ on Ampeg heads, and few Hartke heads and I really dont like it.

Ohhh... Todd, if your looknig for a buyer for that Sunn.... ;)
  6. After spending some decent time mixing my bass in a studio environment, I have found the Graphic EQ to be far more versatile in achieving the exact tone I want, being able to cut and/or boost in several different areas at once, while "most" knob eqs only have one mid boost/cut combined with a frequency selection. - I need at least 2!
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    From a technical standpoint there is only one difference at the heart of a knob versus a slider: one you turn, the other you move up and down. They are both potentiometers. They both can be used to control identical circuitry. It's the circuitry that they control which can be vastly different from amp to amp, so once again there's only one way to be absolutely what works best for you, and that's to try it.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    While I've always thought that sliders make more sense theoretically, I have yet to hear one in application that sounds as natural as a good parametric.

Though the graphics tend to be better for novices in my experience, who are better able to find a decent tone right off the bat as opposed to a relative newbie trying to tweak a parametric or semi-parametric to find a quick, decent tone. Someone who really knows what they're doing, however, will almost always be happier with a parametric, IME.
  10. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I have a 1200S and I HATED the graphic EQ and refused to use it for about 2 weeks. After I finally sat down and played with it I found out you can get an insane number of tones out of the head.

Keep playing with the Sunn, you'll probably end up liking it more over time.

I've also got a 3 knob Sunn Sorado amp that I like to crank becasue I can twist one knob and get a different tone but it's not very versitile so I only use it for practice.

If you findyou don't like it there are plenty of people who whould jump at the chance of getting one of these great amps. My GAS for a loud versitile amp has been I just want more tubes :)