1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Knock around bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HMZ, Mar 25, 2006.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I was thing about getting a knock around bass for those gigs that are questionable as far as whether and the environment. Do any of you guys have a bass like this in you arsenal and if so what kind. I was thing of getting a mim Fender jazz or P bass.

2. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Those would be my choices as well. Probably Jazz.

3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    CIJ jazz

4. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    Not really. We have quite an "active" show, so it's normal to bump into one another or so. A good bass has to get on with that, otherwise it's no good bass ;-)

5. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Better idea... Sadowsky Metro?

:)

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have a Reverend Brad Houser 5 that I use for those kinds of gigs. Luckily I don't have a lot of gig like that but, if I do, I'm ready.:bassist:

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Great bass but I would not call that a knock around bass.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, I'd use a Squier with Dimarzios for that kind of gig. No use ruining $400 when you only have to burn half that. Or even an SX.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I dont care where I gig. I never take anything other than one of my workhorses. I try to do the best I can to keep them safe but rock and roll is rock and roll. LOL. Basses are meant to be played!! $300 or $3000! Play them and have fun.

Rob

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have an SX Jazz bass that I replaced the stock pickups for EMG HZ's. It's great for the crazy punk rock shows where beer is being thrown and people are jumping on/off the stage. It plays well enough to feel good in my hands and I don't really care if it gets knocked around and scratched. Plus, I can put all those stickers on it and not feel guilty like I would with my $1400 G&L!

11. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    No disrespect meant, but I don't understand this approach. Will members of the audience be firing bullets at you? I mean, really, what could possible happen to your bass if you're careful? Put it in the case between sets; what's going to happen?

12. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    you know there are some shows here in detroit, that i think sometimes "i really should buy a crappy squire. though i do want one just to keep in the trunk.

13. mountain drew

mountain drew

Nov 6, 2003
    Michigan
    +1

If you're afraid of losing or damaging something, can you really afford it in the first place? :eyebrow:

Andy :bassist:

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What I mean is for instance I have done gigs on party boats and the salt air is not the best thing for metal, it can corrode and pit. I have done gigs were beer and who knows what, have spilled on equipment by drunks. There is weather issues like out door gigs where you might not have the best shelter from rain.

15. Guys, I was in a punk concert, safely away from the moshing but able to watch the band.

On one instance the bassist got smacked by one of the moshers. He fell backwards hard into his amplifier. The amplifier went down with him. Apparently his bass didn't get damaged or the amp for that matter...

... but seeing that I can understand why someone in his/her right mind wouldn't even consider using an expensive bass on such a show.

Break a Squier spend $200-300. Break a Sadowsky and forget about a new one or pony up 3 grand. You see?

16. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    What about a Spirit? They're cheap and plentiful enough....It ought to pay for it self in a couple of gigs....

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd use an SX in a heartbeat. If you're in an environment where you have to fear for your bass' life, then you're probably in an environment where people can't/don't care to distinguish between a Sadowsky tone and an SX (cruise ship/outdoor gig example excluded). If beer and moshers are an issue, anything that produces low notes will suffice.

18. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thank you for proving my point!

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The biggest factor for me is playability. So, I was going to recommend the Korean MTD basses. I'd also suggest SX and MIM Fender. These are the low-priced basses I've played and been happy with.

P.S. Drunk punks aren't the only ones who can't tell the difference between SX and Sadowsky. IME, few in *any* audience would ever notice. The old joke is that even a lot of musicians will ask if your Sadowsky is a Fender knock-off made in Poland. :p So IMO, any inexpensive bass will work just fine as long as it plays reasonably well. Your amp will deliver the necessary thump!

20. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Personally I'd go with an SX......If there is a possibility at all of your bass getting seriously damaged, why spend more than you have to. I would say a SX is pretty close to the quality as a MIM Fender, but cost a lot less.