Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knockaround Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by =w=Bassist, Apr 24, 2005.

1. =w=Bassist

=w=Bassist

May 22, 2004
    I'm Looking for a cheap knockaround kinda bass that i can use for shows ( I Love Jumping around and even with straplocks the my poor Sterling is getting dents :crying: ) I Was Looking at "SX" jazz copies on ebay they seem pretty decent. Just wondering some opinions on SX and other Cheeper Brands.

2. I'm sure someone will point you towards the SX megathread. But, YES, if you have the money laying around, get an SX. Great basses for the price. All bass players should have one (like carrying around extra 9v batteries) :)

FYI: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57599

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    rondomusic.net

SX's are awesome, and sound good too...

check out the Essex Megathread

Actually, i'm planning on purchasing my second one soon, the Ash in 3TS looks hot, unless Kurt gets the MM copies

4. www.bobbykokinos.com/essex62.mp3

Pardon my crappy playing ability, but there is an MP3 I recorded of the Essex 62 jazz copy if you want to know what it would sound like. I've not modded it in any way.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Aside from Essex (which I've not tried so I can't really comment) the cheap gear available these days is awesome compared to 10 years ago.

The Yamaha RBX170 is said to be as a great cheapie/starter bass. The Ibanez GSR200 also. ESP/LTD are said to have consistent quality across the board and their B5 is inexpensive. And Samicks have gotten better in recent years too. Ever since Greg Bennett came on board and revamped their entire guitar line, they've improved in leaps and bounds. I love my Fairlane 6-string (which I got for $300 used.) The Cobra model is great too.

6. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    There's nothing wrong with Your playing but the completely peaked compressor really makes the sound unrecognisable. I mean, there is nothing anyone can say about that sound except it is overcompressed x1000. :meh:

-Aki.

7. Yeah I know.. I put in into the computer and way over compressed it..