Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knocked over guitars?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    My band played a gig this Fri. night in a small bar. Well our guitar player had an extra guitar sitting on a stand as a back up. While we were playing this guy, who just happens to be a bass player for a pretty big band, knocks over the guitar...luckily it wasn't mine or I would have been really pissed to begin with.

Well later on into the gig, he knocks it over again.....after the gig we are packing up all our stuff and the bar employees are running the rest of the crowd outta the bar.....well this same guy comes through and kicks one of the road cases for the drums. After this I'm sick of this guy, I proceed to tell him I'm gonna kick his tail if kicks one more piece of our gear along with a few other things I probably shouldn't say on here.....anyways I almost kick him ass, if it wasn't for the girl with him I probably would have.

The main thing that pissed me off was that this guy was a musician, if he was just any old careless drunk I wouldn't have been as mad, but this guy is a musician and should know plenty about respecting other people's guitars and such.

Anyways, do y'all think I was out of line for calling the guy out? or have any of you encountered the same thing, if so how'd you handle it?

2. Sounds like a jerk. You did the right thing in standing up to him.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    +1

4. Last winter I saw a friend of mine's strap break (this really sucks) and watched his Les Paul hit the ground right at the input. Unfortunately, the impact jarred over a conga that was just sitting nearby, and the metal rim of the conga impacted the back of the guitar as it fell over. I almost cried.

5. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    whoah whoah whoah....He was doing it on purpose?

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A friend of mine told me about a solo gig he had where this drunk guy kept bothering him to play his guitar. After several attempts the guy goes away. My friend thinks it's over. He takes a 15 minute break and when he returns, he finds his Archtop guitar with strings knocked off the bridge and some binding missing. The guy was nowhere to be found.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if your going to vent and be pissed off at this dude on a message board, atleast say his name and what "big band" he is in, trust me, you will feel better.

me, if it was my guitar he kicked over, the song would have ended, and i would said ssomething to him, while on stage. made him look like a real *******.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One accidentally bumped guitar - excusable.

Two times bumped, politely request that he keep clear from the stage.

Deliberately kicking a gear case as incident #3, I would have grabbed him by the collar and . . .

9. A drummer of a pub band I was in used to often fondly recall the show I nailed a drunk guy with a body check mid-song to protect one of our PA mains. I didn't miss a beat in the song, the guy got the message not to screw around with our gear, and our drummer got long lasting happy memories. :)

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    They aren't exactly a "big band", but here in the Memphis, TN area they are pretty well known and they have several albums out...it was the bass player from Lucero.

the thing about it, I'm the quiet guy out of the band......I don't say much, but when you piss me off you've really messed up.

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    wow , if lucero's BASS PLAYER is an ass , imagine how big a smacktard their g**t*r player is.

/levity off

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D funny!

13. rambob

rambob

Mar 28, 2005
    I once knocked over a Gibson Les Paul that belonged to the guitarist in my old band. Snapped the head straight off. Needless to say we were all pissed off, although he soon got it repaired and all was well. The guitar was also in its case, beware of shoddy gibson neck joints :hyper:

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Once while on stage I knocked over a guitar on a stand for the next band up... it never hit the floor, and we didn't miss a beat. :cool:

Ray

15. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    I have a tendency to accidentaly knocking over my own basses...

16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Saw this happen twice to THE SAME SG (also inside its case). Thought this was a defective one! Amazing!

ANDRUCA

17. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I had an "accident" with a band who was opening our show sometime in 2000. They had this very heavy metal kind of crowd that were jumping and hitting everything. Eventually a Marshall MKII vintage tube guitar head fell on top of my old KORG A4 pedalboard and broke it. The head STILL WORKED OK! The band said they'd pay for my Korg's repair, but when I got it back from the tech and asked them to pay, they delayed indefinitely. They were getting lot's of gigs with us at the time. Needless to say they didn't get more!

ANDRUCA

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    My pbass has been knocked over so many times, pretty much flat on its fretboard everytime and its still fine..!

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i kicked the headstock off my guitar players les paul on our last show of tour. it's funny when you think about it, but im glad he wasnt as pissed as i would have been.

honestly, if some dude kept knocking over my stuff, i would knock him over.

20. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Dude, why did you kick off his headstock?