Knocking frets out of a fretted bass to make a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jass on bass, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jass on bass

jass on bass

Feb 12, 2009
    Melbourne
    Was wondering if anyone out there has knocked frets out of their fretted bass, and if so what the pro's and cons would be? at the moment i have a fender jazz bass, but i'm really starting to dig the smoothness of jaco

cheers, jass on bass

2. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    There are plenty of tutorials on line .Do a google search . I did it loved it, was fun

3. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Squier makes a pretty classy Vintage Modified Jazz fretless for under $300 USD. You're already used to the Jazz, and it would give you both options for not a ton of money. I've heard nothing but good about the Vintage Modified basses.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm thinking that, if you're referring to it as "knocking frets out," maybe you should let somebody else defret your jazz bass for you.

Lots of people have done this, and its really easy to chew up the fingerboard pretty good if you don't remove them carefully with the proper tools.

Fretless bass is a different animal. A good fretless has a sound that is distinctly different from a fretted bass. But, if its "smoothness" you're looking for, that comes with practice, not with frets, or the lack thereof.

5. crapshoot

crapshoot

Apr 11, 2007
    I've knocked my frets out last year and gave the bass a refinish.
    Most imortant tip : Be patient ! don't rush it !!
    Get some background info on the net....

Old :
    [​IMG]

New :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    I have de fanged 4 basses over my life so far. It is not hard. I do not suggest doing a maple board first time. Sand with a block or T. Patience, steady hand, and believe it or not a Clothes Iron with steam on the frets (just let it sit on a few) for 45-60 seconds and 3-4 frets at a time will be completely pliable.
    I used regular old wood putty from true value (i like the maple colored stuff)
    Wait a day if you use steam.
    For coating the board, I went to the hobby shop and got a T sanding block, various grit paper (220-400), and some cyanoacrylate glue, not regular super glue, this stuff http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt10.html . I like the glue better than epoxy because it actually penetrates into the wood and dries super fast and doesn't build up too thick requiring mucho sanding.
    Best-O-Luck to ya.
    http://www.bassplayer.com/article/superglue-savior/jun-06/20674
    crapshoot you do excellent werk!!

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Do it well, or future generations will see something like this:

IMG_0091.jpg

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021