Know about Jim Laabs?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by funkybish, Feb 4, 2002.

1. funkybish

Mar 2, 2001
    Does anybody have any experience with Jim Laabs Music and their basses? Are they any good? $1500 for a carved bass seems pretty good, almost too good. I'd appreciate it if anyone could share their experience or anything they've heard about Jim Laabs. Thanks.
  2. I bought a used Warwick Thumb from them - really good deal, and I am pretty happy (or maybe I was lucky) with the deal. They seem quite knowledgeable, and were very helpful. I also bought a bow from them - again, no problems - courteous, and helpful. I think the purchase of a double-bass is a much more personal thing - even double-basses of the same model, from the same manufacturer can be totally different from each other (set-up, quality control etc.). I'm in the process of purchasing my second double-bass, and I'm working in close association with my teacher. I don't think I'd buy a mail-order double-bass from anyone. (Remember: if a thing appears too good to be true, it usually is...)

Good Luck!

3. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I have two of their basses, I am pretty happy with the basses, no doubt it's an upgrade from any plywood bass I've seen, the company doesn't seem very consistent with their models, but then again my second bass was returned and I paid less than $800 shipped to my door!!! and it turned out to be even better than the one I paid $1600, and I've had guys offering me $3000 for each bass, maybe they are a good upgrade before you spend a whole lot of money on a carved bass.
  4. hey i bought the carved top munich version from jim laabs about 6 months. the luthier i had set it up and my teacher were amazed by the sound for the money and i am enjoying it very much. definitely worth the money imo.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This is great, because my next purchase will be an upright, (thanks Chas!), and I have been wondering about the Laab basses. Thanks for the thread!