Know any effective scales??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fleafan, Sep 1, 2000.

1. I play (for solos) the blues scale over and over and over again and it seems to become a habbit. do you have any good scales that i could use for a solo?

mine looks like this (im sure u know allready)

in different positions

and shifting between them

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...the chromatic scale?

3. thanks i dont just stick to the scale but i like to make a solo sound in key(duh) and if i dont use a scale to help me out it will most probably suck!
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...well see, that's the beauty of the "chromatic scale"; it belongs to ALL keys, it belongs to NO keys.
    How 'bout the modes...can you do a solo utilizing these?
    How 'bout the Bebop Major scale?(1-2-3-4-5-#5-6-7)
    How 'bout the Bebop Dominant scale?(1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-7)
    Diminished scales, whole-tone scales, MINOR scales(& their associated modes), on & on.
    Always bear in mind that these are like learning the can then make words, move onto sentences, move onto phrases, paragraphs, essays, novels, blahblah.
    You're still gonna need syntax, however.
    BTW, sometimes a solo HAS form: other times, a solo may be SANS form...sometimes, a solo may "NOT" be IN key).
  5. ok maybe im just slow or maybe it cause i live in the middle of no where here in South Africa but i never heard of a bebop anything???

please elaborate

(oh and yes modes are my friends)
  7. :0 ooooooooh

ok now let me just learn how to actually play those!
    and i should be ok

could you do a rough tab below or is the sequence in brackets above the degrees on the major scale?

8. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Without addressing the application of scales (listen to Ed and Jim), here is a link to a cool downloadable chart that shows the fingerboard positions of just about every scale you would need. It will also show arpeggio and chords if you want it to. It is very handy indeed, and is FREE. Skip the refs about the 6-string bass charts and just download the regular one. It will default to guitar, but there is place on it to select bass (under "Instrument"). Here's the link:

I hope it helps.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bebop Major scale degrees(1-2-3-4-5-#5-6-7-1)
    Bebop Dominant scale degrees(1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-7-1)
    Your Blues scale degrees(1-b3-4-b5-5-b7-1)

Bebop Major is nothing more than the major scale WITH a passing tone inserted between the 5th & 6th notes.
    In "C Major", you'd play these notes(ascending)-

Bebop Dominant is nothing more than the Mixolydian Mode(Modes...your "friends, right?)WITH a passing tone inserted between the 7th & root.
    ***REMEMBER, you're still in "C Major"; the Mixolydian Mode is the 5th mode..."G" is the 5th degree(V7) in "C Major", right?***

Bebop Dorian is nothing more than the Dorian Mode WITH a passing tone inserted between the 3rd & 4th notes.
    Again, you're still in "C"; "D" is the ii(Dorian)in "C".
    One way to practice them is in a ii-V7-I pattern. That is, play the Dorian first, the Mixolydian second, & the Major third.

Once again, these are mere scales; YOU have to make MUSIC with them.

...granted, Coltrane was influenced by Bird & Bop; for the life of me, though, I'm drawing a blank on a Bebop recording with 'Trane.
  10. NiKo

May 2, 2000

Hy guis, it's Niko here!
    I only want to keep my opinion.
    I agree with Ed; scales are a great thing
    but they are so obvious. If you've plaied
    over and over as you said you know it. they
    are a real good exercise, you can really get
    faster with'em, but as I play bass I prefer
    melodies. "A scale is a scale" (Ed) but it
    really has no personality, a melody can be
    awfull but it is yours and with time you'll
    do really good melodies, whenever you are
    studying, sleeping, eating, ****ing.
    Belive me it takes some time to be good, but
    it paies with satisfaction.

11. You have all helped alot thanks

12. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    Check out the Harmony Central site for a lot of scales. There are a lot of cool exotic scales out there like the Kumoi and the Spanish eight-tone scale. All these can add a cool Eastern Flavor to your solos, and you should definitly check em out.