Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Know anything about Peter Malinoski basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Apparently there's a luthier in my area named Peter Malinoski who makes guitars and basses with a very artistic flair... basically weird for the sake of weird. He's selling a bass from his own collection at significantly less than what he claims it's worth, but since I've never heard of the guy, I don't know a thing about his work. I guess it couldn't hurt for me to check it out, but I wanted to see if any of you had heard of him, or knew anything about his reputation as a builder. Here's a link to what he's selling... I don't know if I like it or not, but if nothing else, I'm intrigued!

http://www.petermalinoskiart.com/webpage2/page_bass33.htm

2. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    you read craigslist don't you? ;)

i saw that yesterday too...it looks interesting

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    And a Wishbass by any other name...

4. wow...that headstock is awful!!!!
    the body isn't bad except for the two sticks protruding from it...

sorry keep in mind this is an opinion!!

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's just wrong. Can't say I like anything about the looks of that puppy.

6. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Well, that sure is different. Can't bring this bass to your country gig or your metal gig or probably any other gig I'd be interested in. I wonder what the dots on the back of the body are, too... plugged holes? Heads of nails?

7. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Yes sir I do, and he just put another one up for sale today...

http://www.petermalinoskiart.com/webpage2/page_bass34.htm

It's not so much that I'm in love with the way they look (particularly the pink one), but I am intrigued by them, and I'm always looking to try something new (and in this case, ridiculously weird). I don't really care what gigs I could or could not bring this bass to; image is the least of my concerns. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything about his work, outside of the aesthetics. I tell ya though... those headstocks are murder, and I love the two brown branches hanging off of the green bass in the first link. :eyebrow: :smug:

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Luthiers Access Group had one that I tried. It was...err...well...interesting. Personally, I hated every bit about it. IIRC, there were so many problems that Dan de-listed it from his site and sent it back to Peter. I don't know what ever happened to it, though it looks exactly like the one in Hollowman's thread above.

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    why does it have antennae?

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    They look interesting-the body shape on the 2nd one reminds me of a boutiquey bass-i just can't remember who makes it.

The top one reminds me of an Ashbory-especially with the head stock.

However, unless if the playability, sound, and construction was worthy of the price tag or more-i'd pass. Nice ideas though.

11. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I looked it up, and I'm pretty sure it is the same bass. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly didn't you like? I have no commitment to this bass whatsoever, but since I recently discovered it, I am a bit curious. I'd love to hear any details you have on this sucker... sound, build quality, feel... whatever you feel like sharing.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tune, possibly Tung.

If you got a decent headstock on that 2nd one, it wouldn't look half bad at all. Pointy like it is, maybe an Ibanez AFR style, or something similarly narrow.

13. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    it`s a happy bass. happines! joy joy!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    It's kind of like a Manne bass, on acid.
    http://www.manne.com/eng/basseng.htm

Marshall

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is going back a couple of years, but from what I remember, it didn't feel like it was designed and built by someone who actually plays an instrument.

The woods themselves were well joined, no visible issues in laminates, great headstock attachment...clearly built by someone who understands woodworking. But, the neck had an odd shape: tight string spacing, narrow from the E to G string, but very rounded back. IIRC, the neck warped very badly which is why Dan sent it back. Interestingly, it was a light bass that balanced remarkably well. Unfortunately, it was difficult to place in a comfortable playing position and felt clunky.

The electronics were nothing special. In fact, up against a Fender Squier, I probably couldn't tell 'em apart.

This is all going from a 2-3 year old memory, so I can't promise all my opinions are correct, but these are the thoughts that stuck in my head for all this time.

In other words, I wasn't impressed.

16. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks for the review, RAM. I emailed Peter Malinoski and told him I'd try to swing by this afternoon to check out both basses. If anyone's interested, I'll post a review tomorrow if I can make it. I'm not really expecting too much, but I have to admit, seeing these basses for sale has piqued my curiosity. Who knows... maybe I'll even take one home. :p

17. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I know this thread is nearly a month old now, but did you ever check them out? I am absolutely in love with the shape of bass 34.

18. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Yes I did, in fact. They were both very well made, and the man who made them was very kind as well as knowledgeable about wood-working. Both basses sounded decent enough, although both had only one pickup and no tone controls, so there was zero flexibility. The 5'er in particular (#34, IIRC) had really nice, tight low end... I was impressed with that. The midrange and higher frequencies were solid and present, but there wasn't much bite to be had. I didn't play either very loud, but I could see the tone getting kind of muddy at high volumes in a band setting. Both basses were beautiful, but I think that the emphasis was as much (if not more) on making artwork rather than making a competitive instrument.