Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Know anything about Tapco Amps by Mackie??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steelpulz, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I recently came across an ad for Tapco Amps. (by Mackie)
    Are they any good? The prices are great!!!

Big power amp performance at affordable prices:
    J-800 800W @ 4 Ohms bridged $299
    J-1400 1400W @ 4 Ohms bridged $399
    J-2500 2500W @ 4 Ohms bridged $559
    Easily switchable mono/stereo/bridged mono operating modes
    Separate SpeakonĀ® outputs for Channel A and Channel B
    Third Speakon output for mono bridged applications: also provides both output channels on a single NL4 connector
    30Hz subsonic filter for low-frequency speaker protection
    Handles for easy transport and protection of level controls
    Defeatable clip limiter
    Front-panel signal and overload indication

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    At a power amp "shootout" (http://www.prosoundweb.com/news/0204/shootout.php) a couple weeks ago in Emeryville, California, one of the models tested was a Tapco J2500. As far as I know, it met its published specs in a bench test, and in a double-blind listening test up against an AB 1590B, it was apparent that no one could reliably detect any sonic differences between them.

There is some post-event discussion of the shootout on the Live Audio Board .

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

i'm sure the cost difference has alot to "where" its built. and that could bring up reliability issues.

4. Mackie's M1400 amps are also made in China and have been some of THE most unreliable pieces of equipment I've ever encountered.

5. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a mackie fan, but Tapco has never really been a name I associate with quality, and I've owned quite a few tapco pieces. Sonically there won't be any audible differences between amps. For 400 bucks I'd rather buy an amp that's proven it's reliability, like an RMX1450. The one I have is one of the 1st ones made and have been in constant use in various parts of my PA and bass rig. Now it sits underneath a CX502 (wish I hade more of these) running monitors 3/4. 6 months ago it was in my bass rig, and 4 years ago it ran mains and monitors in my blues band.

pete

6. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    The Tapcos are a heavier than the QSC RMX series. Neither are acceptable to my spine. OK for permanent installations.

7. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I appreciate your input. Regarding where they are built, I think I read that they are manufactured in Italy(?). At any rate they do seem to be a little heavy. But maybe a good deal for a bassist on a budget.

:)

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm pretty sure the ones I unboxed at the amp shootout said "Made in China."