Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Know anything about the Ampeg B5r?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swampface, Mar 13, 2001.

1. swampface

swampface

Mar 8, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I ordered a new rig with one of these (and a bag end s-15d) and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this amp. It looks to be a great amp, but I would love to hear from anyone who's had some experience with one.

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    While shopping for amps last year I tried out the B5r and thought it was pretty good. The blendable distortion channel and octave definitely give the amp a unique, over-the-top sound. I prefer using separate effects so I can get exactly the sound I want. I ended up getting the B2r because it puts out the same power into 8 and 4 ohms (200 and 350 watts), has a 9-band graphic EQ and limiter defeat switch, and cost $400 less. The 1000 watt B4 head is also worth checking out. I think the solid-state Ampeg B-series heads are some of the best amp deals around-you get great tone, good features, and a 5-year transferable warranty for an excellent price.

3. I know that i want one!