Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

know anything about Tune?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jono, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Having recently acquired a Tune bass, Is there anyone that knows about about the company - Tune Guitar Technology? Where are they based, how long they've been around? etc...
    Thanks

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  3. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    wow really?
    no wonder there was a huge sale on the ones in my local store

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that one of our members, Angus, may have a link to a Tune tribute website that has a bunch of high end Tune basses on it.

Angus, are you out there?

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey!

Tune's not that old of a company, i believe they began operation in the 80s. They were based in Japan. They did go out of business a couple years back (uh, sort of), because their factory toppled completely during the huge earthquake in Kobe; nobody really knows whether they ARE in business or not, its kind of up in the air, because you can still get the catalog, yet you can't really order them. Theyre kind of a mystery company.

The website is still out there, and ill find it for you tomorrow, as i dont really have time right now.

Jono, which one did you get? Tell us some more about it! Ive got a custom 6 thats for sale, and its the best bass ive ever played! Id love to have another tune, if i could find a good 5.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Tune is indeed dead.

But, I know for a fact that the owner will be back with something new very soon!!!!

Let me check my info source on how much I can reveal.

fred

7. Thanks Guys, this is helpful. It's been a bit of a mystery for me!

Angus, I have a BassManiac Custom Fretless (36er). Piezo pickup.

8. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Jono, thats the only way to go, as far as im concerned! Once you go 36", you won't want to go back! Too bad i have to... :(

Indie-visible, that isnt the same site we were referring to; that was one is brand new.

10. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have a used Tune fretless, 4-string. I bought it in Tokyo for $ 500, a month ago and I like it.
    Two Tune-users' opinions I've found about these basses on the Net:

"For the 1997-98 tour, Greg Lake has been using one of his beloved Tune basses, which is a radically shaped four-string from Japan. In the early days of ELP, he was a noted user of Fender P-basses, Gibson Rippers, and custom Alembics, but now he notes:
    "There are so many people building super guitars, but the main reason I use Tune is because they build a marvelous four-string bass guitar. The electronics are as good as it gets. They seem to be a company that cares about what they do -- they're an instrument company rather than a merchandising company.”

Les Claypool (Primus):
    "While he was working on it, I used a Japanese Tune fretless. I'd played all the 6-strings, and this Tune sounded and felt the best - and at half the price of a Warwick. When I first ripped the frets out, it freaked me out - I could hardly play it, because you really have to be on it to make a fretless sound good with chords. It was a whole new ball game, but by the time I got the Carl Thompson fretless, I could actually play it.”