1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Know of Any Adult String/Orchestral Summer Programs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jgbass, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I have just done a thorough internet search of summer programs. Strings Magazine has comprehensive listings on their site. Also checked some other sites I googled.

But, as an older adult/college student strings major looking for a comprehensive string program this summer, there just is not much that seems to have a lot of substance. There's a few non audition amateur programs, but I do not consider myself an amateur, and they do not sound right for me.

A lot of age restrictions, closed doors. Nothing new, but sometimes I wonder why it has to be this way.

My ideal program would be a two-week program focusing on orchestral repertoire, possibly some chamber music although there's not a lot of this for bass. Preferably West Coast, just because of the bass transport issue. A 3-4 day program just does not do it for me.

Maybe I missed something in my search. If not, I will be taking private lessons and doing a lot of shedding this summer. That's OK, but I really wanted to get some good ensemble playing experience and instruction this summer.

2. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    bump

3. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    One exception I found is Barry Green's adult Classical Bass Camp.
    If you want that kind of atmosphere check it out:
    http://www.innergameofmusic.com/basscamp/

I don't think it's what you're looking for since it appears to be all bassists all the time and no orchestra or ensemble.

The private lessons and shedding sound more productive, frankly. Who do you study with now?

4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info. There is not really any info up on the site yet. I will check back later. I am around bassists a good part of the day as well.

The more I think about it, the more I think I am just going to do private lessons and shed. Maybe I can also hook up with a community orchestra that is rehearsing during the summer, although that's a stretch.