Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Know of any electronic wizards??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bad dog, Dec 5, 2002.

1. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Hey folks,
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a good electronics repairman? I have an Elrick NJS fretless that has sprung a nasty ground buzz that needs some attention. I've done all the trouble shooting that I'm capable of and also had it to a local luthier who said he couldn't find the problem. The buzz stops as soon as you touch any metal on the bass, including the strings - and it's driving me nuts! I'm located in Northeast Pa. Any help is appreciated.

Tony

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    There should be a ground wire coming out of the side wall of your cavity near the bridge end of the cavity. Check to see if that wire is connected to the rest of the ground wires. If it is you may want to check to see if that wire is leading to your bridge. It should be touching your bridge.

It sounds like it is not grounded properly. Also if you have black hardware, check to see if the black paint is rubbed off at the point where the ground wire is touching.

3. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Gents - thanks for the suggestions, Stroy05 I'll check the ground wire again ...... that seems to be the obvious answer. But the last guy I had it to didn't find a problem. So I'm a bit mystified at the moment.

4. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    No, He was cool. I think he was just stumped, although he did try to tell me it was in my amplifier, but since none of my other basses buzz at all, that rules that out pretty easily.

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    It sometimes helps to hit the point on the bottom of the bridge with some 3M or a small wire brush. Also make sure there is an adequate portion of insulation stripped from the wire at that point (1/2" or so).

I would also call Elrick; I'm sure they can help.

6. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I am an engineer and also build basses for fun. I have had similar problems with my basses and with some high end models I own. I have basses such as fenders, carvins, smiths, and a spector. The only one that never hummed or picked up "ground" noise was the spector. Some things I can suggest: Try plugging your amp into a different outlet or try another amp to see if the problem is on that end. If you dont have another amp go to a music store and try one there with your bass. Try a new cable. If there are any light dimmers in your house turn them off. The generate alot of EMI and power line noise which can manifest as you described. I know your other basses arent noisy, but these are good troubleshooting steps to rule out the obvious things not in the bass. If the bass still is making noise I would do some basic electrical continuity checks from the bridge to the jack to the cavity shield. Its odd that the problem just started suddenly however. If I can help you any further just email me at nuwavedc@aol.com. BTW I am in PA too, but I am in Pottstown.