Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Know of Fretless Fives with Piezo's under a grand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Im going to pick up a fretless five soon to complement my fretted and would like to have piezo's just as an option. So far for under a thousand the only bass I found that had them was the Spectorcore bass, so Im looking for a little help from TB. If you know of any other piezo (and mag) pup equipped 5 string fretless' for under a grand please post them.

Thanks in advance.

2. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    You can try some of the Yamaha TRB's, I think they can be had with piezos for under a grand. I do not know, however, whether they are still made or if you have to look for a second hand one.
    Good luck finding the bass,
    Niels

3. Thanks for the response Niels, much appreciated. I'll look into yamaha.

4. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I believe some Carvins come piezo equipped for right around that price.

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Lightwave. I'm not sure about the price, but they have a new buy direct program. It may be in the ballpark.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I believe they're out of production, but I'm pretty sure a NOS or used Ibanez EDA-905 would come in well under a grand.

8. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    "Correcto!" I own one and it's great. Visit their site and BBS for more info. Carvin.

:)

9. Thanks for the replies, so far Im intrigued by a lot of basses, but something about how different that spector core is from my current warmoth Jazz five makes me wanna learn more about it. Keep the answers coming as this is interesting.

The lightwave has piezo's incorperated into the system?

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, it has the optical and piezo. The piezo can only be blended into the optical output.

11. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    fretless stingray 5 wigh peizo. Youd have to look pretty hard but ive seen them for under a grand, like 950.

12. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Godin A5. In US its probly under a grand, otherwise try used. Great bass though. I love the things

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Godin A5 is semiacoustic, too. Unfortunately, no mag pickups.

Bongo can come fretless and piezo, probably for more than a grand though.

14. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I just got an A5 a few weeks ago im diggin it

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    How about a Spector Professional series Spectorcore. I know those are WAY under a grand and have piezo's. the only trick would be finding a fretless one. I know you can contact them and request one.

16. a guy on ebay has been selling fretless 5 spectorcores for 649.99

17. Yeah, Im actually really intrigued by the spectercore for a couple of reasons and started a thread on it. I'll ask here as well, does anyone have any actual experience with them?

I like the fact that it has one sweet spot pickup and piezos, which will be a complete tonal step away from my current warmoth jazz fiver.

18. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Seems like I've been singing the praises of the Spectorcore all week...

Just got mine; black, five string, fretted. Honestly, for about $700 w/case, I can't believe how much I'm liking this thing. Got it out of the box, did a quick setup, and it was good to go.

Neck- Very thin neck compared to my Carvin 6. (go figure) It feels pretty fast to me, and it's unfinished, which I like. For it's width, it feels pretty stable. Nut is cut right, frets are dressed. Not overwhelming quality, but no dead spots or buzz.

Body- Light. But the light weight makes the bass feel pretty fragile; I imagine you can't hit baseballs with it like a Fender,
    but it's overall well built. Pups are seated nicely, tuners hold well. I would put the build quality at about the same level as a little higher than the Mexican Fenders, closer to Carvin specs, assuming this truss rod doesn't crap out like in my Carvin.

Pickups- This gets a little wierd, but this is my first bass with a piezo/mag blend. The mag pup is pretty deep and bassy, and the piezo pup is almost harsh with its treble. However, a decent blend to taste of the two yields some pretty good results for a $700 bass. I can actually get very different tones w/out moving knobs by changing my attack, and I like that a lot in a bass.

Hope that helps. I couldn't find these in any shop in Chicago or St. Louis, so I had to call Bass Central in Florida to pick one out. Turns out they actually have more colors than advertised, including blue and red. I was pretty happy with this purchase, considering that it was an emergency buy to cover for my broken Carvin (another story). I would buy this bass again.

19. thanks for the response fourstr00. That was actually really helpful.

With the pickups, would you say that alone either system (mag/piezo) isn't very useable?

Is there anything you could compare the tone to? I noticed the pickup seemed closer to the neck than a stingray or a P-bass.

What are the controls on the bass? (any eq or tone)

Does the bass balance well on a strap?

Thanks a lot for the responses.

20. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Hey, hope this helps! In response:

The tones aren't unusable with either pup solo'd, they're just a little more extreme than I would like. It's the blends that really produce musical tones.

Balance is pretty good w/ a strap. The headstock is typically light Spector, so there's not a lot of dive.

The only beef I have is the volume knobs. They feel fine, but it's a knob for the mag pup, and another knob for the piezo. I prefer a blend knob, but that's just personal preference.

The EQ is a bass boost, and a treble boost/cut with a center indent. The EQ really isn't all that strong; the bass never really changes it's voice with the onboard EQ. However, it does respond pretty well to my amp's EQ.

The tone isn't really comparable to a Stingray. I don't know what it reminds me of, but it's a fairly fat, p-bass tone on the mag pup, and I usually blend in the trebly piezo to taste. I guess I could say it's a mix of Geddy's tone from Counterparts and Juan Nelson on Ben Harper's Fight for your Mind. (might be too obscure, I dunno) It's kind of a unique, fat tone, with decent treble bite and nice mids.

Sorry I couldn't be more precise, but hey, tone is subjective I guess...