Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Know when say when.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Just got a call from a guy I play with. A guitar player from a band that he shared a New Year's gig with was driving home, pulled in front of a train and lost his left arm. He had been drinking and was headed home. From what I understand, he was driving through an area that has a lot unmarked juntions and multiple tracks (switch yards,) and was hit broadside by a slow moving train.

This guy basically plays guitar for a living. He plays with bands in the area, and does solo stuff to scratch out a living. I seriously doubt he has any insurance. All that could have been avoided. I'm not preaching, as I have done the same thing alot in the past.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Was he trying to beat the train, or was he too intoxicated to see it coming?

-Mike

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I think he was stoned to the bone and did not see it coming.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Define 'lost his left arm'. Is it just massively broken, or was it ripped off.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    He couldn't find it :rolleyes:. I'm assuming it was ripped off.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh.

No sorrow from me. It's too bad it happened, but I can't feel sorry for idiots. Stupidity should be painful.

-Mike

7. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I agree that it is a really stupid thing to do, but I still feel bad for the guy. Hopefully he'll find a way to pull things together financially, and learn to drink in moderation (or not to drink at all if he doesn't know his limit).

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It was warm last night, I was told he was driving with his left arm out the window, and that was the first thing the train hit.

9. umm.. the man lost a body part. Yea, he shouldn't have been drinking and driving, but I still feel sorry for him. Nearly makes me cry to think of "never being able to play the bass again." Poor guitarist. Hope he can pull things together and fix up his obvious drinking/smoking problem.

10. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    yea, i think this is worse then the dude from def leppard. i mean at least he has a way of playing his kit, i mean how do u play a guitar with one hand? i mean it would be diff if he lost his strumming hand cuz u could get a prosthetic and still strum sifficently enough, but how could u strike a cord? :( my condolences goes out to him

11. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Terrible, but more affirmation of my decision to not drink.

12. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

Hmmm. Not to make light, but this could be the chance for him to become a legendary slide player(or dobro player.) He could also play right handed keyboards. He could be a lead singer maybe? If he doesn't let it get him down, he could still be involved with music somehow.