1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

KNOW YOUR BASS PLAYER - Graham Maby "Yeah, I could be a bass player!"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tom Semioli, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Tom Semioli

Tom Semioli

Dec 24, 2017
    New York City

One of rock music's most distinctive and instantly recognizable players, Graham Maby (Joe Jackson Band, Graham Parker, Marshall Crenshaw, Freedy Johnson, Garland Jeffreys, Darden Smith, Ian Hunter, Regina Spektor, They Might Be Giants, Natalie Merchant) fondly recalls his early days in Gosport, Hampshire England; the impact of The Beatles, and the day he became a bass player. Tom Semioli: Interviewer / Writer. Mark Preston: Producer. Jacques Hanlon, Derek Hanlon: Cinematographer. www.KnowYourBassPlayer.com

2. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Very cool,thanks! I’m only familiar with his JJ repertoire which is iconic imo, I’ll have to poke around for his other work.

Tom Semioli likes this.
  3. Graham is indeed a great bass player I have seen him several times with Joe and also with Marshall Crenshaw and have some of the other records he contributed to. Joe Jackson's book 'the Cure for Gravity' is an excellent read and gives a lot of backstory for Graham and a few other musicians. It explains the closeness between the two of them bordering on intimacy that some might find off putting or confusing.

Tom Semioli likes this.
  4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    It’s interesting to me that he’s lived in the US so long that his British accent is nearly gone.

- Steve

Tom Semioli likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Graham Maby is one of my favorite bassists ever. Joe Jackson was really smart to build his music around him. Some say he overplayed, but he overplayed brilliantly.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Ditto.

Ya saved me some typing :).

Tom Semioli and tkonbass like this.
  7. Max

Max

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    'I'm the Man' -- the rest of the band is underplaying.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021