1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KNOW YOUR BASS PLAYER - Jim Rodford Talks "Hold Your Head Up"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tom Semioli, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Tom Semioli

Tom Semioli

Dec 24, 2017
    New York City
    KNOW YOUR BASS PLAYER ON FILM: In 2014, Mark Preston (producer), Derek Hanlon (cinematographer) and I commenced to filming interviews in London and NYC with bass players whom I admire and who were available, and whom Mark and I feel you should know! Since then, we’ve met with amazing bassists who went before the camera to reveal remarkable, insightful, and oft hysterical stories about their lives, careers, and the artists they worked with! After a series of unescapable delays (I’ll spare ya’ll the drama…) we’ll soon be sharing those clips with you – and conducting more interviews as this is a life’s work in progress. Much like playing the bass! Recently we lost Jim Rodford of Argent, The Kinks, and The Zombies. Jim was among my all-time favorite players – a real finesse bassist who made every note and every phrase count. And a prince of a man, too. Talking with him at The Horn in St. Albans UK with his Fender Mustang - which he retrieved out of storage at my request, was a personal highlight for me. Much love and thanks to Melanie Rogers for making that interview happen! Here is a rather rough outtake wherein Jim reveals the origin of “Hold Your Head Up.” Tom Semioli: Interviewer / Writer

IamGroot and jerry like this.
  2. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    cool story

3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thanks for posting this. I saw them in the early 70s (with Wishbone Ash?). We all wanted to hear that organ lick.