1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

KNOW YOUR BASS PLAYER: Sal Maid's Roxy Music Audition

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tom Semioli, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Tom Semioli

Tom Semioli

Dec 24, 2017
    New York City
    KNOW YOUR BASS PLAYER ON FILM: "I'm a kid from Little Italy and all my life all I wanted be is in a British band…" In a career spanning slabs and stages Roxy Music, The Sparks, The Runways, Milk 'n' Cookies, Cracker, Edward Rogers, Lisa Burns and George Usher, Tom Clark, among others, NYC bass legend Sal Maida recalls "the audition" and his first gig with Roxy. Mark Preston: Producer. Derek Hanlon: Cinematographer. Tom Semioli: Interviewer, Writer.

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Liked his playing in Roxy Music, taste and tone!

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Well, the only recordings that feature him in Roxy are two live tracks, “Chance Meeting” and”Pyjamarama”, from the “Viva” album, which, in spite of the time period, was not recorded particularly well. Contractual obligation fodder, it was put out while the band was hiatus, the tracks culled from various live dates between late ‘73 and late ‘75. It also features the only recorded evidence of John Wetton in the band as well. In the studio, on those classic early albums, the bassists initially were either a guy named Graham Simpson or Ric Kenton(seen in all those early UK TV shows), then John Porter and John Gustafson(it was he on their huge “Love Is The Drug” hit)on the subsequent stuff. If you really want to hear Maida, he was in a glammy, pre-new wave power pop band called Milk’n’Cookies, there’s a great compilation available. They were a little out of synch between the glitter and punk eras, so they didn’t quite get out of first gear. Sal went on to log some time with Sparks, which makes perfect sense.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. Tom Semioli

Tom Semioli

Dec 24, 2017
    New York City