Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knowledge about the strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chalie, Feb 17, 2005.

1. :hyper:

Hi Guys,

Could you please direct me to any knowledge-base website that contains the story about the bass guitar's strings. I have the BP mag last year issue that gave lot of knowledge about the manufactures but I wish to konw more about the technical asspects of the strings.

Thanks,

Chalie

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We have a few string nuts who hang out in the Strings forum. This will get a better response there, so I am moving it. And you might try searching in the Strings forum as well. A lot of this stuff has been covered many times before.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Find Bruce Gavin...he had a good technical database compiled at one point attempting to get accurate string tensions for as many brands as he could...an important factor greatly unpublished by many manufacturers and in most reviews.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Bruce Gavin is a good source. I also am a bit of a string nut, so post your specific questions here, and you'll probably get some answers. For instance, I've researched string manufacturers, and found out a lot about who makes them and who doesn't. Also, many folks here can help you with questions about core design, inner and outer wraps, different types of BG strings, etc.