Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knows anyone something about Framus Basses from the sixtees?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldFramus, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Hey my name is Andy and I´m from Germany.

Today I`ve got an old (very old) Bass from Framus, it was build in the sixtees. :D
    I`ve got it from my girlfriends father. He told me that he bought it from another musician in the year 1968, also he said in this year the bass seems to be up to 10 years old.

I don`t know anything about this Bass, but I have some data for you. :confused:

Build by Framus
    Build anywhere in the 60`s
    4 String-Bass
    Modell: 5 / 151 / 52
    Serialnumber: 50093
    Tested by : 64L
    Made in Germany

If someone could help me to find out more about this modell, I would be very thankfull.

Help me to find out more.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Framus basses were used extensively by Bill Wyman of the rolling Stones in the early Sixties.
    If I'm right this model was also known as the "Star Bass" (Which was the model Wyman used!)
    It may be worth checking out some Stones Sites.
    :cool:

3. Thanx but this I already know, I´ve seen some pictures.

I`m also trying to find out something about this modell with the help of Framus Germany

But may be that someone in the forum is faster with help

4. Is there no technic freak from the good old times?

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Or maybe this one?

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Detailed information on Framus, as on the other German brands such as Klira and Hoyer that are even less well known, is quite hard to find. Framus continued making instruments into the mid or late 70's (maybe even the early 80's for the European market) with some original shaped guitars and basses and some that were sort of weird knock-off of well known American models and then some that were almost copies of American models. The son of the founder of the Framus company, is the founder of the Warwick company. With in the past few years that have re-introduced the Framus name to the European market with fairly high-end guitars, and have just recently began doing the same for the American market.

Steve

8. Thanx guys.

No my bass is not a "Star Bass". The shape off the body is more like an Fender Jagstung.
    Neverthe less I´ve changed the Serialnumber, it was the wrong one.

9. As I`ve seen from Modellnumbers, may be that this Bass ist build between 1962 and 1966, for example her the numbers:

1962: x / 150 / x
    ????? 5 / 151 / 52 (my one)
    1966: x / 153 / x

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Hi Andy - Your Framus bass model 5/151 is known as a model "Television Star-Bass". The serial number dates it as being made in December 1964.
    I have a book on all German made electric guitars and basses manufactured in Germany. It includes pictures of many of the instruments, but more importantly a history of each manufacturer and the models they made. You're lucky in that Framus was one of the very few German guitar manufacturers to put a serial numbering system in place, and my book documents their numbering system.
    I have a couple of great pictures of the guitar version of this instrument which shows it as being a very cool looking vintage instrument. The book notes that the bass version is identical to the guitar except that it is a bass. So i'm sure that your bass must also be very cool!
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,

PS - I just read your newest posting above on the serial number. My posting here is based upon your original posting at the top of this page. The test- 64L indicates the year and month of manufacture. If this is still the same, then the bass was made in Dec of 64. The letter L equals the month. It's the 12th letter in the alphabet which in turn means the 12th month and that's December.
    The other numbers simply represent the details of the instrument such as whether it's a guitar or bass, the number of pickups, the model identification number, etc
    If you require any further info, feel free to email me direct.

11. Thanx man,
    look at this picture and say
    if this is the bass you thought it is.

If it is the bass, would it be too much, if I ask you
    to scan the page about this bassguitar into your computer and send it to me by email?

Do you know anything about, how many basses of this typ where build?

What do you mean, would this bass cost today?
    My girlfriends father bought it 1968 for only 50$ Dollar in Berlin / Germany. At that time it was since 3 or 4 years in use of someone else.

Nevertheless here are the pictures:

Look at these pics

:D

12. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    OldFramus - I received your email, and I trust that you've received my response to it.
    I notice in your picture that you are in need of a bridge and strings for your bass. Do you have the original bridge ? If not, I can put you in touch with a source in Germany that has original parts available. Let me know if you need the website address.
    The gentleman is in Dorsten.
    Cheers,

13. Big Thanx.

I´ve wondered too about the bridge.
    When I would insert strings into that bridge,
    the strings would lay direct on the PUs.
    I`ve also thought, that there is one peace missing.

You see, I need the Webadress, where I can buy new parts (some other little parts where missing).

Please give me the adress and big thanxs for your eMail, this pic of the guitarversions and your support.

14. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Here is the link to the website. Contact them and i'm sure that they will be able to help you find the correct bridge for your bass.
    At least now you can tell them that you need a bridge for a 1964 Framus Television-Star-Bass.
    Good luck and I am only too happy to have been able to help you out.
    Cheers,

http://www.musikkeller.com/

15. Thanx again.

I´ve looked on that page, but the programm is nearly 4 months old. But they have many Framus-Parts, but not for my bass.

I`ll try it by eMail.

Thanxs for support

16. rmatija

rmatija

Dec 23, 2007
    Thorton Davis write

I have a book on all German made electric guitars and basses manufactured in Germany. It includes pictures of many of the instruments, but more importantly a history of each manufacturer and the models they made. You're lucky in that Framus was one of the very few German guitar manufacturers to put a serial numbering system in place, and my book documents their numbering system.

I plead Thorton if can help me

I need help for Framus Bass.
    I need all possible data from
    5/151 or 5/152 TV Starr Basss
    On Framus wintage is not enough
    Can somebody help in this case

Best regards and happy new year

17. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    The founder of Warwick is the son of the man who founded Framus.

18. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Framus made the 5/151 and 5/152 between the years of 1964-1966 (mid 60's).
    If you know the serial number of your bass, email it to me and i'll determine the exact date of manufacture for you.

I'd suggest that for any further specific information that you may be looking for, visit the Musikkeller website and contact Mr. Norbert Schnepel via his email link. He's located in Dorsten, Germany and can probably assist you. The website link is above in a previous posting.

Cheers,

TD

19. rmatija

rmatija

Dec 23, 2007
    Dear Thorton
    Can you say about this?
    thanks

20. PepiBlu

PepiBlu

Mar 24, 2010
    Europe