Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knuckle 39.5" scale 5-string - Brand New on Basstasters

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vanselus, Feb 21, 2006.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Well, i'm at it again. This time with another 39.5" scale Knuckle Quake. This Quake has one Q-Tuner in the sweet spot, mahogany wings, and all the long-scale lovin you'd expect.

http://basstasters.com/basses/knuckle5.htm

The sound clips came out very well, and pictures are pending (because it was 1:30am), so please check it out if you have a moment.

These basses are not just for low notes - they really shine in the "normal" register as well. The 39.5" scale isn't hard to play, which seems strange. I never miss a fret, although my hand does get more tired.

Any questions, just ask! Please let me know what you think!

*note to CUP-police: I have no commercial affilliation with Knuckle Guitar Works

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    very cool...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I thought you were redoing Skip's website? Doesn't matter though, the CUPs has been revised. So long as you are not actually on the payroll doing webwork, you are free to talk about what you wish ;)

Anyway, I really want to get my hands on one of Skip's monster basses! Not only is it a wicked concept, he's a cool guy :bassist:

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Nope, I've never done an ounce of web work (or any other) on Skip's payroll. Glad to hear the CUPs have been revised.

You really should lay hands on a Knuckle, the authority of the tone is stunning - in the mix, it's shocking.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I got to play one once, and hope to again. Nice instruments. :cool:

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    V,

How does the "G" string feel/sound with that long of a scale?

~S~

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You'd actually be surprised. The response and feel is akin to an upright, how the string rolls a little under your fingers. Tension feels right about what a 34", but the string is thicker. The tone almost has a chorusing effect, but it's really big and clear - it doesn't suffer the thin-ness that you hear often on the G-string.
    The feel of the bass overall is just very balanced from string to string.

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmm, very cool. I would have initially thought the opposite & thought it would've had a thinner gauge string. Hopefully one day I can check one out somewhere.

thanks,
    ~S~

9. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    can we get some pics in here?

-jake

10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I talked to Skip this morning. He is sending me a Quake to play and pass around at HammerBash 2006 this Saturday (feb 25th). He is currently building me a Quake 5 string tuned ADGCF that I can't wait to play. My band is currently recording a CD and I have purposely delayed laying down my bass tracks until I get the Quake. they are awesome basses

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah can we?
    :D

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    yeah yeah keep dem panties on.

I just gotta convert them from RAW - AND do my work - it's only 2:38 here!

13. 39.5"? :eyebrow:
    Jesus, I have a hard time reaching the C on a 35":D
    Can't wait to try the Knuckle at Hammerbash.
    C7

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I didn't take the time to outline them yet, so once the background is gone they will look better - but damn that's a fine lookin bass! Skip knows his way around ... wood :D That's for sure!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...WOW!, Beautiful work/piece.

Get rid of the "graffiti" on the body & it would look even better...IMO, of course...

~S~

PS: I would love to compare it to my Dingwall Prima(older model) & see how the 39.5 compares to my 37 B...

16. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    WRONG! ;) :D :bag:

As would I. In fact, it's giving me thoughts about an "extended scale" Dingwall. Say, 39.5" to 36"? With wenge... lots of wenge.

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Why wonder? Both are on Basstasters - A/B them. Very similar imho, but the Knuckle has more grunt and mids, and the Dingwall is warmer and deeper (at least to THESE ears). The Knuckle sound is actually surprisingly close to my wenge-necked MTD, just more authoritative...

Speaking in gross generalities of course...

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...well, I definetly think(after listening to BT clips), the Dingwall is much darker. I'd really love to give them a "real world" comparo in "my" hands & "ears" with my gear(or similar) along with the "in band" situation.

I don't think you used a Prima like mine(9pc neck, 2 band Bart) & the strings definetly make a tremendous difference in extended scale instruments as I've found over the last 9yrs. I've completely hated some instruments due just to the final sound from certain strings on them...

Also, some instruments set flat definetly don't work as well as others due to different designs & pre's. A little tweaking totally changes the instument IME's...

Regardless, I hate the "graffiti" & would definetly love to try/own one, permitting...

~S~

19. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    hmm the one that Skip is sending me is a single pickup passive with some sort of true bypass that he has been working on. I can't wait to try it through my El Whappo

20. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I love the site!
    Good stuff.