Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knuckle Cracking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fleabass89, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Well I used to crack my knuckles alot when i was younger, and because of this my knuckles are huge and swollen. Will this interfere with my bass playing at all? I'm kind of worried about that. By the way, I play with my fingers most of the time.

2. BassGruv

BassGruv

Nov 15, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Well,
    Been cracking for years!!! I'm 31 and playing since age 11 and I've had no problems!!! Although I must admit, it's a sick sounding habit!!!
    :)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This might be something else - did you see a doctor? You'd better...

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    This is a very generalized statement, but it is common that someone with rheumatoid factor in their blood will get the problem with popping their knuckles, but those without it can pop away. See your doc and he can order some arthritis blood tests for you. Also, consider your heritage, as rheumatoid arthritis is usually in the family somewhere.
    Doc

5. Hmmm...so...if my grandmother on my dad's side has arthritis in her fingers, but neither of my parents, or any of my other relatives have it...then...what're my chances?
    Considering the fact that I crack my knuckles a LOT, and also tend to crack my back and neck when they get too stiff, like sitting a 2 hour exam or something...

6. Well if you want to get into a conversation on genetics..... if your grandmother had it and niether of your parents had it, then mendalian genetics tells us that a gene is able to skip a generation of 'hide' itself. You can get into all that monohybrid crossing stuff,but it's hard to do on a computer. Sorry, just learned that in Biology, and had to share it. Then again, that's just me.

7. Shouldn't this belong in Off Topic? :)

8. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Well. I could be wrong. Im no doctor.

But I have heard that cracking your knuckles releases the synovial(sp?) fluid between your joints.

This is what keeps your joints lubricated.
    Could explain the the swelling of your knuckles.

I would stop cracking your knuckles.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    im no dr,,and guilty of being a knuckle cracker too...ive heard that doing this can lead to arthritis over time. and the more you crack the worse it gets, i heard that it leaves calcium deposits in the joint and affects finger mobility in the long run. I'll ask my Dr next time i see her

10. Whether it can cause problems or not, it's still a pretty gross habit ;o)

11. i'd like to hear mikemulcahy's opinion... i crack my fingers, back, neck, and toes, and have had no problems.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd like the good Dcotor's opinion as well.

Been a knuckle cracker ever since I started playing bass 20 years ago, I have to do it to loosen my fingers up.

13. you received a doctors opinion with snyderz post. he is a chiropractor (sp). however, as in most medical diagnosis, a second opinion is always welcome, so i welcome doctor mike's input as well.

not only do my knuckles crack, but my neck, knees elbows, and sometime shoulders do the same. especially when i get out of bed in the morning.

just old age? i'm only 41. some of the fingers in my hands are numb when i get out of bed in the a.m. too. it sucks, and scares me.

14. Cracking may cause you a lot of pain and misery when you get into your 40s or 50s with athritis. I'd stop immediately, if not before.

15. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Mike, help us knuckles/neck/back cracker !
    I've got to know too ...
    (Man, if I have to stop smoking AND "cracking", what the .... am I gonna do ???)

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
  17. I stand corrected!