1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Koa bass body on order

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Hey folks, here's a body I ordered from the Warmoth showcase. It's the Dinky P shape and made of koa wood. It should get here next week.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I've always wanted to have a koa bass and this one was available at a nice price. I'm gonna oil finish it and attach a Warmoth neck I have lying around (goncalo alves with a pau ferro fingerboard).

This will be my 3rd Warmoth and hopefully as good as the other 2. I've heard many good things about koa as a bass wood. The grain on this one is nice and the finish should bring it out nicely.

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    mmm... koa :)

Congrats! :hyper:

3. yummy.. that is one nice looking piece of wood

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Koa Good.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    That's some very nice looking wood. I have a one-piece Koa body Jazz with a Padauk neck/ebony board that I'm very attached to. It's a wonderful wood for bass.

I'm awaiting shipment of a carved Dinky P from Warmoth any day now. They make great stuff.

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    ... did that have a P+MM rout or something similar? I saw one up in body sanding the other day with a killer quilt maple top. Was that yours?

7. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    :hyper: Yes Indeedy!!!! :hyper:

Reverse P/ MM. I am so psyched - Jay said it should be shipping imminently. Two years ago or so I picked up a J neck from the Showcase - all Macassar Ebony/unstained ebony board - and I've been slowly piecing it together ever since. Finally, the body was the last thing on the list. Got my bonus and placed the order.

I am really glad to hear you say that - I went for the upgrade sight unseen, but with faith in my previous Warmoth experiences. :D :D :D

8. Another koa fan. Glad to hear it.

You're putting a P pickup and a Musicman pickup on it? Why didn't I think of that? Should be quite versatile. I'm having Warmoth route a J pickup. I like the PJ combination.

9. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    The PJ setup is excellent. I have a Warmoth Korina P routed that way with EMG's and it sounds great! One of my favorites all around.

Here's a snap of my Koa:

[​IMG]

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I like PJ setups too.

And by the way, your body looks much nicer in person than it does in the picture. The color's much more lively.

11. Nice orange-brown colour on that one! You have a Korina PJ? I'd love to see a photo if you have one. Here's mine:

[​IMG][/IMG]

It sounds fantastic! I'm not sure to what extent the korina affects the sound but I can tell it's the best sounding bass I've owned.

12. I'm looking forward to seeing it. The oil finish I'll be applying should liven things up even more.

When I ordered it, the saleperson said it had a nice ring to it (he must have been doing a tap test).

13. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Thanks. I bought that body in '81 - back then it was being sold by DiMarzio!

That's a beauty you got there! There's something about them, no doubt. Mine sounds great in every situation too.
    Never one to pass up a chance to share my brood, here's a link to my bass pics. The Korina P is the Warmoth blueburst with the Quilt top in Herd 1.

http://www.maintainlowtones.com/