Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Koa bass body on order

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Hey folks, here's a body I ordered from the Warmoth showcase. It's the Dinky P shape and made of koa wood. It should get here next week.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I've always wanted to have a koa bass and this one was available at a nice price. I'm gonna oil finish it and attach a Warmoth neck I have lying around (goncalo alves with a pau ferro fingerboard).

This will be my 3rd Warmoth and hopefully as good as the other 2. I've heard many good things about koa as a bass wood. The grain on this one is nice and the finish should bring it out nicely.

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    mmm... koa :)

Congrats! :hyper:

3. yummy.. that is one nice looking piece of wood

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Koa Good.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    That's some very nice looking wood. I have a one-piece Koa body Jazz with a Padauk neck/ebony board that I'm very attached to. It's a wonderful wood for bass.

I'm awaiting shipment of a carved Dinky P from Warmoth any day now. They make great stuff.

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    ... did that have a P+MM rout or something similar? I saw one up in body sanding the other day with a killer quilt maple top. Was that yours?

7. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    :hyper: Yes Indeedy!!!! :hyper:

Reverse P/ MM. I am so psyched - Jay said it should be shipping imminently. Two years ago or so I picked up a J neck from the Showcase - all Macassar Ebony/unstained ebony board - and I've been slowly piecing it together ever since. Finally, the body was the last thing on the list. Got my bonus and placed the order.

I am really glad to hear you say that - I went for the upgrade sight unseen, but with faith in my previous Warmoth experiences. :D :D :D

8. Another koa fan. Glad to hear it.

You're putting a P pickup and a Musicman pickup on it? Why didn't I think of that? Should be quite versatile. I'm having Warmoth route a J pickup. I like the PJ combination.

9. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    The PJ setup is excellent. I have a Warmoth Korina P routed that way with EMG's and it sounds great! One of my favorites all around.

Here's a snap of my Koa:

[​IMG]

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I like PJ setups too.

And by the way, your body looks much nicer in person than it does in the picture. The color's much more lively.

11. Nice orange-brown colour on that one! You have a Korina PJ? I'd love to see a photo if you have one. Here's mine:

[​IMG][/IMG]

It sounds fantastic! I'm not sure to what extent the korina affects the sound but I can tell it's the best sounding bass I've owned.

12. I'm looking forward to seeing it. The oil finish I'll be applying should liven things up even more.

When I ordered it, the saleperson said it had a nice ring to it (he must have been doing a tap test).

13. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Thanks. I bought that body in '81 - back then it was being sold by DiMarzio!

That's a beauty you got there! There's something about them, no doubt. Mine sounds great in every situation too.
    Never one to pass up a chance to share my brood, here's a link to my bass pics. The Korina P is the Warmoth blueburst with the Quilt top in Herd 1.

http://www.maintainlowtones.com/