Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Koa getting rare?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey all. I just recently bought a bass with a solid Koa body (Peavey Koa RSB), and was researching the wood (after I bought it, but I like it anyway) and found on the Ken Smith site, that it's getting rare and high priced. Is this ture? Just wonderin'.
    Ray

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    It is getting rarer, but even more restricting to the supply are the sanctions against harvesting it. Trees can only be harvested if they've fallen naturally, or with expressed permission from the government. Since it's becoming much more difficult to obtain, it is getting quite expensive! And unfortunately, Hawaii is the only place in the world it grows. Some acoustic guitar builders charge almost as much for a Koa upgrade as they do for a Brazilian Rosewood upgrade.

A good and more readily available alternative to Koa seems to be Australian Blackwood. It's a little darker in color, but has many of the same tonal characteristics, since they are both in the genus Acacia .

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It's a shame too. Koa is such a beautiful wood.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, I love my RSB. It's quite beuatiful...Here, for you guys, I'll post two pics, hows that sound?
    Ray

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    And the second...
    (of anyone want any other pics, just PM/email me for 'em. :D)

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not really "figured", but it just looks so elegant!!

[​IMG]

7. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Hey guys and gals. I spoke with the people at Berea Hardwoods in Ohio about figured Koa and they can get it if there is enough interest.
    I attached a pic of a guitar I made (yeah...I know, it`s a guitar) of the type of figure he can get.

Mike

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Big Island koa is getting scarce. We had a guy get busted for poaching some trees from state land earlier this year. I have some odds and ends, including one big long piece that was left from a carved Polynesian canoe. There is some reforestation going on, in the interest of preserving these great trees, which are an important part of Hawaiian culture.

9. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Marcus,
    I`m glad to hear that reforestation efforts are underway for these trees. It saddens me to see these species becoming extinct, especially for the sake of urban developement or profit. I know that African Blackwood and Pink Myrtle have just been added to the ever growing list of endangered woods in Africa.

Mike