Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

koa - the velvet of woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Aug 25, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this is sorta cool...

[​IMG]

these are pics of my 8 string fretless (flame koa) from different angles - the koa looks totally different depending on the point of view and the light. very cool stuff. :D

just thought i'd share.

2. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    btw, all i did different with these two pictures was crouch a little for the first one - the lighting in the room is the same.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, I wish I could crouch down and watch the word "Samick" on my old five-string turn to "Roscoe."

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Sweet! I can't imagine how you play, but they are very very nice.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dude, we're already plenty jealous.

You dont need to try any more!

Peace
    Nick

6. That is so many knobs! What do they all do? I'm sure that you've been asked that a million times already but...I wasn't there to hear an answer! :p I really like that koa. Others are not so great but I like the picture on the left a little better, personaly.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Not exactly a p-bass, huh? :D I've been trying to figure out what all of the knobs and switches are for, but i'm completely boggled. Call you select what synth sounds you want using the onboard electronics?

8. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    I just got an ATK flamed koa-topped 4. Yeah, it's not a Conklin - so what, ya wanna fight?? :mad: :mad:

:D Hey John, out of curiousity - you have tons of expensive basses and a really big, expensive looking couch. What do you do for a living? :confused:

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah guys...that bass looks even more cool when you're holding it ;) hee hee awesome pic, jt. sweet stuff, indeedy.....are you freakin' bored? go practice, you jagerschnitzel! hee hee :D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

jt is a talkbass moderator...:D i think that's pretty much it.

11. I think from now on people should be obligated to post sound clips when they post pictures. :D (hint hint)

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    to his credit, there is a link to one of his tunes in his signature, so he does sorta post a sound clip every time he posts...

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, click the link in the sig, win a prize.

the knobs do the following - turn. they click in the middle too, at least most of them. on some of my basses, they even pull out a bit. well, actually, on all of my basses they pull out if you pull them hard enough, but that's not good. :rolleyes:

dudes! the koa!! dig the koa!! :D

ok, anyway, the knobs on that bass are as follows, from bottom left to upper right.

top row - volume, concentric bass/treble, mid
    bottom row - (little white dot is a blue led for when the instrument is on) piezo/mag blend, synth vol and a single band of fully parametric eq - sweep, concentric cut/boost and q

switches - on/off, parametric on/off, 3 way pickup selector - single, series, parallel, coil tap switch, synth-both-magnetic 3 way switch, momentary up/down switch for synth patch control/assignable.

as for my living, in real life i'm actually liza minelli. hey, it pays the bills.

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the koa does rule...i was playing a figured koa tobias 5 banger over at bass northwest about a month ago...aomeone finally bought it...beautiful wood, koa is...

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, and it makes a bitchin' canoe too. :D it's super heavy, though - that bass weighs ~16 pounds.

16. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i love koa.
    your koa top is beautiful...
    what kind of finish is that on top?
    urethane? oil? gloss?

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think koa's about the same weight as mahogany? I'd chalk most of that weight up to the bubinga and wenge in that titanic neck.

Then again, mahogany can vary quite a bit. Alembics are monsters (they go for the heavy stuff), whereas my mahogany fretless is less than 10 pounds.

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    So, uh............you got flatwounds on that thing? :p