Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lefty, Nov 13, 2005.

1. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    putting together a passive warmoth p bass thinking of going with a solid koa body has anybody heard koa on a bass? i know i know it`s all subjective.
  2. Koa has a very beautiful grain but is known to actually not be that strong a wood. I have a Carvin LB70PF with a Koa neck, and I opted for a tung-oil finish, making the wood remarkably smooth. It almost feels fragile, to be honest. Alas, the bass is currently under construction, so I cannot posts pictures.

In terms of it being used as a solid body, I suppose it could be done but the end result, depending on how dense a finish is applied, could be a body that is rather prone to dings and so on.

One last thing to mention, but solid Koa is relatively heavy. Having owned an instrument that was solid Koa, I can tell you that my shoulder did not thank me after certain sets. I also however owned a bass with a Koa top. Not as dense, but retained the classy aesthetic.

In terms of sound, I can tell you that the Koa neck on the Carvin I have really adds a somewhat more mid-range enhanced characteristic to the tonality, which I defintiely dig.

Good luck with the project, and be sure to post pictures of the completed result.
  3. I just saw a thread about a Koa neck inquiry, and WJGreer responded:
    Sounds like someone you could ask in an email about how it worked out. Can't remember where I saw a pic of it, but the wood is great! Yum! :D
  4. From Peavey's custom shop...

5. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    man that is BEUTIFUL!!! koa it is.
  6. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    to fan the flame abit...

7. Sonically similar to mahogany.