Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KOA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lefty, Nov 13, 2005.

1. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    putting together a passive warmoth p bass thinking of going with a solid koa body has anybody heard koa on a bass? i know i know it`s all subjective.

2. Koa has a very beautiful grain but is known to actually not be that strong a wood. I have a Carvin LB70PF with a Koa neck, and I opted for a tung-oil finish, making the wood remarkably smooth. It almost feels fragile, to be honest. Alas, the bass is currently under construction, so I cannot posts pictures.

In terms of it being used as a solid body, I suppose it could be done but the end result, depending on how dense a finish is applied, could be a body that is rather prone to dings and so on.

One last thing to mention, but solid Koa is relatively heavy. Having owned an instrument that was solid Koa, I can tell you that my shoulder did not thank me after certain sets. I also however owned a bass with a Koa top. Not as dense, but retained the classy aesthetic.

In terms of sound, I can tell you that the Koa neck on the Carvin I have really adds a somewhat more mid-range enhanced characteristic to the tonality, which I defintiely dig.

Good luck with the project, and be sure to post pictures of the completed result.

3. I just saw a thread about a Koa neck inquiry, and WJGreer responded:
    Sounds like someone you could ask in an email about how it worked out. Can't remember where I saw a pic of it, but the wood is great! Yum! :D

4. From Peavey's custom shop...

5. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    man that is BEUTIFUL!!! koa it is.

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    to fan the flame abit...

[​IMG]

:D