Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kodos to GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pete, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been playing thru a few different amps thru the years and I still have my first good one, the GK 800rb. Well I haven't used it in a while because I switched to a Bass Pod Pro and a QSC or EV power amp. Unfortunaltly I had to put both amps into my B rig for PA and I went back to the GK for the first time in 3 months. I quit using it because the 300w amp started to crackle and fail.

I had an old 400rb that would kinda freak out and then I wouldn't play it for a few months then it would work great for a few years. So I shelved the 800rb for 3 months and brought it out this saturday night. Since I ran sound as well I put everyone thru it (1x dual 18 sub w/ 925 watts, 1x EV 15+horn w/ 550watts) and didn't use a lot of stage volume with the eden 410xlt. After the 1st set the amp started to fail. I plugged my 4 ohm eden into the 100w 8 ohm minimum side of the GK and lo and behold, it worked like a champ all night.

I have to say I am really impressed with this amp. This should have killed it especially since impeadence is lowest at bass frequencies (2.7ish ohms at worst?). I do have to put it in the shop now though, I've had it for 12 years and I bought it used. I think it was built in 84. Anyway, just had to send that out.

pete