Kodos to GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pete, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been playing thru a few different amps thru the years and I still have my first good one, the GK 800rb. Well I haven't used it in a while because I switched to a Bass Pod Pro and a QSC or EV power amp. Unfortunaltly I had to put both amps into my B rig for PA and I went back to the GK for the first time in 3 months. I quit using it because the 300w amp started to crackle and fail.

I had an old 400rb that would kinda freak out and then I wouldn't play it for a few months then it would work great for a few years. So I shelved the 800rb for 3 months and brought it out this saturday night. Since I ran sound as well I put everyone thru it (1x dual 18 sub w/ 925 watts, 1x EV 15+horn w/ 550watts) and didn't use a lot of stage volume with the eden 410xlt. After the 1st set the amp started to fail. I plugged my 4 ohm eden into the 100w 8 ohm minimum side of the GK and lo and behold, it worked like a champ all night.

I have to say I am really impressed with this amp. This should have killed it especially since impeadence is lowest at bass frequencies (2.7ish ohms at worst?). I do have to put it in the shop now though, I've had it for 12 years and I bought it used. I think it was built in 84. Anyway, just had to send that out.