Kolstein Archives.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Has anyone joined the Kolstein Archive club or whatever he calls it??
    I am known on TBDB for locking myself in the bathroom with lotsa Double bass pictures.
    I guess for $30/$35. They're off line right now (not good) but I think that's about the cost for joining to enable you to peruse supposed great pictures of great DB's.
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Paul, I have a membership....... Most of the Basses HAVE Been on his regular 'site over the last few years and moved into the Archives when Sold. The Basses on the current 'for sale' page are there as well....

I have played a few of the Basses and there are quite a few beauties there. There are also a few, or several, depending on who you ask, that are not made by who 'HE' attributes them to be made by......But in either case...... the Basses are nice...... Not a bad deal for a year of ammunition huh?......lol
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think the $30-$35 is unneccesary.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well Paul, at least the brown craft wrapped magazines would stop showing up at your front door...
  5. A word I prefer is...outragious. I'd not mind $10 to $15.
  6. Yes, I know. I prefer that you not return the pictures I sent you.
  7. But Dono, they're hardly broken in!
    Well the Busetto is in kinda tough shape.
  8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I am just taking a guess here but... I think this may be the reason..

Barrie has alot of Basses on his site.. It costs quite a bit to take pics and post it. It also takes a bit of experience to put whatever info/history about each Bass.

Whether he gets the Names right or not.. He IS spending quite a bit to show the world his stuff..

Once the Bass is sold.. It's old News.. That's what the archives are. "Archives". He also has a few Classics that are not for sale and/or of historical importance.

For instance, Milt Hinton's Bass. It is not for sale.. So the work to get it listed is paid for when you buy a year memnership. I don't agree with his French Name of that Bass. I think it is Bohemian. Just my opinion.. but Freedom gives us that right of free thought and speech..Another Bass he had awhile ago was Attributed to P.A. Testore.. I was told by another that is was a Pallotta. I think the price he sold it for (or was asking at the time) was fine with either name.

So.. we get a fairly in expensive look at alot of Basses-Violins as well..

I think he was also giving free rides to those in the Business that might use his info to market, name and sell Basses that they have in stock as well as the other string instruments.

Also, until about a year ago, all but a few high ticket and consignment Basses, had Prices posted for each Bass. Not all Bass websites do that.

It's worth $35. to those that enjoy looking at Basses regardless of the makers authenticity or that would like another refrence for comparison purposes.

I paid $260.oo about 4 years ago for the Henley Book and not a single picture to match to the listings.. I think his price if fine for what he offers......
  9. For $35 (is that per year or a one-time charge?) -

1) how many pictures would I have access to?
    2) at what resolution?

FWIW: I can search the web, and pick up all manner of bass pics, some good… some bad… some outstanding… for a lot less than $35

- Wil
  10. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    Money, money
    It is insane to pay; soon they will be charging to visit the shop.
    I have been looking for a Bass for while (I have the money) and went to Mr. Kolstein store.
    I was treated like I wasn't there.
    I guess you have to show your bank account or have a last name Brown, Carter or something like that.
    So you know what?
    Know business with you.
    Pay to look at Pics ?
    Hell no...
    From a very unhappy costumer that is a professional Bass Player in NY with a lot of students.

11. My Fuqua name, Donosaurus, comes from my pitiful computer skills. For example, I can't figure out how to post a picture of that one. Can you?
  12. prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    I enjoy visits to Kolstein's every couple years.. Barrie takes a pretty good hands-off approach to people's looking for instruments - sometimes it makes it easier when there isn't a seller telling you how great an instrument is. Mike Shank does a similar thing and I had a great time there - he showed me what basses he thought were good to check out, showed me some more expensive ones I should try just as a curiosity (dearborn, a tiny viennese), and left me and my girlfriend downstairs to openly discuss each bass.
  13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    When I went there last, he gave me a Bow and Rosin and told me to help myself.. He DOES know me but I have never bought a Bass from him before. I knew sorta what I was looking for but didn't find it after playing over a dozen Basses.

Recently I called and asked about a Bow he had. He answered all my questions and invited me to come out and see the collection of Bows he has that might suit my tastes.

He is a Very Professional Business Man and runs a good shop. Not all agree.. Most repairman will find fault with the work of others.. That is a fact.. That is also personal taste and professional Rivalry...

If Barrie has what I want at the Price I am willing to pay.. He gets my money.. I don't care about the personal attention or not. It is worth waiting for a busy man in HIS place of business to get you questions answered.

Would you rather go to a place with NO business at all and have the owner follow you around as ypou look and try Basses or bows?? I dont' think so......
  14. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys,

so...on the $35 kolstein archive site itself are the prices (actual vs requested) posted? THAT would be a huge advantage for "shopping". while i am still awaiting my first new standard cleveland to arrive, believe me when i say that my five string solo bass needs lots of "research". oh yes, lots of it.

i actually think i would pay ( i HAVE been considering it, but...) if the historical sale information was available as well.

does anyone know this info? ken?

thanks as always!

15. Lemee see what I can do....Prolly not til after the Holidays.
    Seriously though, my copy is not in great shape. Even before several trips to the bathroom. Very dark copy.
  16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Prices are no longer posted 'Anywhere' on his 'site for Instruments or Bows.

You have to call for info. on $$.
  17. Alright, so while we are on the subject...I'm goin up to New York next week to do a number of things, one of which just happens to be checkin out julliard.. :rollno: no way could i get in... But I thought I would go stop in to Kolstein to see his basses, possibly g et sum new tuners but thats another story. He/they wont mind if I were to just play to see what a master bass would feel like and to possibly scout for mygraduation present ;) ? I dig my fendt and would not mind havin another bass...
  18. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I guess I am not used to that kind of costumer service.
    Makes sense
    Sorry if I offended anyone
    I think the best think to do is to pay a visit to Kolstein
    Sorry again
  19. If what happened to you at the store, insulted or put you off in any way, you don't owe anyone an apology. There's an art to salemanship.....too much or too little?
    I know Barrie only from talking to him on the phone and he's always been very professional. If you were treated the was you say you were, i'd say they screwed up.
  20. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I joined and got a free year added at not extra cost. Personally, I think it's a good historical resource.