Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kolstein Fendt basses; would like to hear more

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Derek Payne, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Derek Payne

Derek Payne

May 2, 2003
    I’ve been thinking of making a trip out to kolsteins to try out one of the Fendt bass. I’ve already spoke to the shop and I’ve read most of the posts on the forum that refer to these basses so I assume there are at least a few owners on the forms. Those that own one or have played one I was wondering if you could tell me you personal feeling about these basses. Specifically, how would you personally describe such things as playability, projection, sound, and craftsmanship?
    Is there anyone in the Chicagoland area who has one I could try?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If I'm not mistaken, our own David Kaczorowski plays one of these, and another member, reedo35, has some experience with them as well. If neither checks in soon, you might check to see if their PM accounts are active and check in with them directly.

Welcome to TB. :)

3. My bass has a huge, complex, focused tone and projects like a canon, but it's the one Barrie made. The others are nice for the money too and IMO compare favorably with older basses in the same price range.

You can hear my bass on the bassrespanse CD available at www.owlsong.com

4. Hi, Derek, let me first start off by saying Barrie is a great guy to deal with. He is straightforward and honest to deal with. The 7/8 Fendt is considerably larger than your current bass. I also have to say up front, IMHO if you are looking for a jazz bass, this is not it.
    It has a very dark, focused orchestral tone that you can feel much more than you can hear it. It projects well, but you can't hear that unless you stand ten feet away from it,and like KRACKHOUSE said, it hits like a cannon. The back and ribs on mine are Willow, which I think contributes to this. The fendt is even in tone across the board and the neck is a bit thick, but very playable and blends in well with an orchestra. All in all, if you are looking for a medium priced orchestral bass this is a good choice. I hope this helps you. Reed