Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kolstein Guadagnini Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Feb 24, 2005.

1. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Very interesting. I hope is sounds as good as it looks. Do you know the price for that range of Basses or do they vary a great deal depending on which 'copy' model it is and where it is made?

2. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Kolsteins Panormo, Maggini and Ruggieri copies are around 17,500 I think. The Guadagnini copies are going to be 15-16k. I will be trying the one they have now (the first one made) next week. It is $12,500. He says he paid for it before the Dollar/Euro devaluation so it cost him less to make. He also wants to promote this model.

3. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    The dollar has been dropping against the Euro for over two years.

It certainly looks like a nice bass and the type of wood is also cheaper to make instruments from as compared to spruce and maple.

4. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Well I have it. It came yesterday in a crate full of peanuts. The sound is very big and it has nice response. There was a wolf right on the A but moving the endpin things and putting a wolf eliminator on cleaned it up a lot. The bottom two strings are sligtly differant sounding than the top two. I think it is because the top two are newer. They are also original flexicors and my expirience is that the G string takes a while to settle down. The crate business was a bit of a hassle; its almost easier to buy the bass then send it back. But I will not let that influence my decision. There is one other slight problem. The E string buzzes against the figgerboard. Its height it the same as the G string. Perhaps I need a bridge adjustment. Overall it's an incredible bass. I will have Peter Loydd look at it today in studio class.

5. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Well I am consisering buying it. Mr Lloyd is not crazy about the Kolstein tailpiece or bridge adjusters but that is a minor issue. It seems that the A string in thumb position has perhaps cleared up a bit. Is it just me or is it possible for a very new bass to do that? In other words is it possible for a new bass to clear up in areas that are a little muddy sounding?

6. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Listen to Mr. Lloyd -

Keep in mind that if you want to use this bass for auditions, it needs to have a sound that pleases people exactly like Mr. Lloyd. Now, you can change certain things about instruments, but my general experience with Kolstein's is that they are wolfy up the A and pretty stuffy on the lower strings up in T. Position. It usually doesn't matter, but when you do play up there (Bach, Tubin Cto) its going to grate on you.

If he feels like its worth it, go for it.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am not to thrilled with those tailpieces either. I bought a bass from Barrie and when I put a smaller Hill model rosewood tailpiece on the sound immediately opened up. I think the weight really kills the tone.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Snot on the monitor AGAIN. Funny ****...

9. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Ok, the only thing stopping me from buying this bass is the fact that the A string from about E and all the way up into thumb position is a little unclear. I really want some more eveness. Does anyone know of a way that this can be fixed? Is there anyone that has a Kolstein and has found a remedy to this problem? This bass is very new and I am sure it needs to be played in a bit. Will plaing it in help clear the A string up at all?

10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Bass is made from wood and will have its quirks. Even if it was 100k you would find something wrong with it. Try judging the Bass for the price and within the normal area you will be playing in. It is not a Guitar! If you find a Bass, perfect in all registers and on all notes, please call me as I have a big credit line and would love to find a perfect Bass......

How is the Bass up the D into thumb position and the G up to the Bridge?.. More importantly, how is the Bass from the Low E in the first 3 positions up to the G string and up the first octave of the G?.. That's mostly where you will play unless you have a Solo tour. In that case, you will be spending quite a bit more.

11. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    I think its hard to evaluate this instrument online, but since I've been in the same boat for 6+ months (looking for a better instrument) I would say that it is important to find something that does speak well along the A string. Heldenleben gets asked on a lot of auditions, as do a lot of other things that need good clarity up the A.

Now, with that in mind - is it a quirk or a fatal flaw? Can you play around it to make those notes sound good anyways? I would agree with Ken that every bass will have some quirks, but some of them can be worked past.

Also, it is possible the Neck isn't too well dressed. When I got my Kolstein (of similar eastern-european/long island origins), I had Paul Strelau completely redress the neck and it was 1000x easier to play after that. This would make a big difference.

If Mr. Lloyd likes the sound, and feels that its worth it, I'd go for it - he plays a fabulous instrument, and knows good sound.

12. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    BTW- we aren't related, other than being another homo sapien and carbon-based life form.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

14. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Dragonetti,

What kind of strings are on it? I am not really crazy about the Kolstein strings. You might consider changing the string and see what happens. Try a really clear string and see if that makes any difference.

The bottom line is- do you feel like you can't live without the bass? If the answer is no- keep looking. You may try another of the same model and it be completely unreal. Not all basses even by the same maker are created equal. Some just have that Mojo...

Brian

15. billybass

billybass

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans
    Did the bass come with the old Kolstien Varicore or the new Kolstein heritage strings? The few time I have been to Kolstein's shop the best sounding basses were the ones without thier strings. A set of origional flexacores or permanents could help.
    Good Luck

16. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    My friend Brian is correct here - especially considering the price. That being said, I own a Kolstein, but sometimes you can recognise POTENTIAL in a bass that can be improved by some means - be it strings, soundpost(replacement or merely adjustment), tailpiece, bridge(or merely placement), cable, or maybe even endpin. Fingerboard dressing was mentioned before and is something I could probably benefit from on my bass for similar reasons as yours, just haven't gone down that road yet. I've altered the nut to a very slightly narrower spacing(super glue trick) like I'm used to and it made a lot of difference in playability.

I suspect these basses, although of high quality, may go through several pairs of hands before getting finished and may suffer a bit on the quality control of the finished product compared to an instrument that would be done by a single builder with time on his hands to give it that extra loving touch. But I've looked at several basses in the same price range, Arvis, Jakstadts, Morellis, Pollmanns and others, and I haven't regretted the decision to buy what I have.

Ike

17. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    The bass has original flexicors. I don't think I will get it, but I will make my final decision by Friday. It has a very decent sound and great articulation but I really don't think I should buy a bass on the thought that I could get it adjusted and it could sound the way I want it to. It seems like my chinese bass can get a better soloistic sound than this one. I know I probably will not be making a living as a soloist but I really would like to have a very good solo sound as well as a kick*** orchestral sound. When people say a bass would make a good solo instrument are talking about sound and not just shape? Bassically I want something that can give both a decent solo sound and a decent orchestral sound. Do you guys know of any maker or bass for sale that I should check out? Nick Lloyd, I saw a bass at the Sonksen Strings website. It is the same price as this Kolstein. Hows the sound? Also I was playing a fendt the other day and really it is not too differant. The A string was very clear and even everywhere.

18. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That Panormo-style flatback has quick response in the lower registers; it would blend well with a section. Bassists have called the fourth positions and above "cello-like, but not thin sounding". The top is Engelmann spruce, which I think provides a really clear tone, especially for solo/audition work. Nobody has complained about uneveness across the strings. However, this bass has a wider upper bout, and people under 6' are uncomfortable playing it. How tall are you?

19. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I'm 6'1" or 6'2". I have played bigger basses and I am sure I would have no problem. I'm in Minnesota so Chicago isn't too far. Perhaps I will check it out. Im in school now so I don't know if I could get there until summer though. :meh: