1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kolstein Heritage Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by lrhbass, Mar 26, 2013.

1. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Has any TB ers had any experience with the KH strings? The description sounds interesting enough...would love your take on them..:)

2. I briefly had a used set that came to me in the pocket of a secondhand cover I bought a while ago. Having no idea what they sound like new, they didn't impress me, like all the perlon-core strings I've tried. They played easily enough, but didn't put out much sound.

3. I only played on them on a jam session bass. Very short pizz sustain, might be nice for bowing in an orchestra and orchestra pizz but not for jazz and most other plucked styles. But I like at least some sustain plucked, maybe it is something for the short pizz note community. I haven't tried them with a bow.

4. Seems you're talking about the Kolstein Varicors.

The Heritage strings I tried had a lot of sustain.
    Quite similar to Obligatos from my experience.

5. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Here is a TB'er playing his Kolstein Busetto travel bass. As he seems new to the bass, I guess these are the stock Kolstein Heritage strings (I can't be certain as I can't see the silk colours but it must be a reasonable assumption) so you can judge their sound for yourselves

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Played a set once on someone else's bass. Thought them similar to Obligatos, he replaced Obligatos with them and said the same. Can't opine much more than that. I haven't seen him in a while, but I'll see if I can figure out if he stuck with them.

7. I can only trust what the owner of the bass told me. I doubt that they were Varicors (which are steel core strings if I remember correctly).

Can't remember the silk colours. The strings might have been rather old (but usually this means more sustain, I think). And maybe this experience is not typical for this kind of string.

8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Are you saying that strings sustain more with age?

9. I have the impression they do. But maybe the time frames we think about are different.

Strings get longer over time (we tune them more up than down), not much, but probably enough for some strings that are stiff at the beginning and also for some weeks or months (depending on the string and how and how often they are played) to loose the stiffness that comes from the very close position of (the outer?) windings and that will be reduced by getting a microspace between them when the string gets longer. Maybe also a reason why the windings on some strings that stretch a lot can become uneven when the spaces are no longer evenly distributed, often happening at the bridge or nut.

My experience is that some stiff strings don't sound good and have a shorter sustain compared to themselves when played for a while and they got more flexible. Maybe they also get more flexible with a lot of playing which may deform the windings a very little bit over time a bit for better flexibility.

If there is enough space/deformation for flexibility, more aging won't help much due to my theory and I only have one set of strings that I used really long (Spiro Mittel 4/4 S42, about 20 years). So not much experience for really long usage times. But of course this is more valid for wound gut or synthetic core strings than steel core strings that stretch much less.

This is just my personal theory and I don't expect that others share it. But maybe it is of some interest to some of the talkbass readers.

10. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting. My personal experience is contrary to that, however. For what it's worth.

11. I could imagine that sustain will be reduced with inharmonicity in the string. Which can happen due to enhanced use at a certain area on the string (plucking or bowing area) or by uneqal distribution of the mass due to moving of the microspaces between the windings.

Just my idea to that.

12. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I've been using KH for few years. ..first on an EUB and then on both my carved & ply bases. They are very comfortable, and I think they sound great. Long sustain, growl & balance.

13. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    How have you found the longevity of these strings to be? Do they last?

14. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Yes, they last a long time.

15. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    One asterisk *
    Like any string, they may not be right for all players, and they don't necessarily work on every bass. I have been lucky using them. However, I now have a new fully carved flatback bass that does not work so well with KH, so I'm going to have to find & use a different set.