1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Kolstein Maggini 7/8 with extension

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Rob Thompson, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

Price:
    Strings:
    This bass is the real deal, an affordable pro level orchestra bass. It's a 7/8 size, with poplar back, ribs, neck and scroll and slab cut fir top. Made in Kolstein's shop in Baldwin NY. C-extension by Chris Threlkeld.

This bass has been played extensively in the Minnesota Orchestra by Matt Frischman. It has a big, dark and projecting sound, is rock solid through weather changes, plays really evenly and is virtually free of wolfs.

D neck
    41.75" string length
    Custom Messina bag included

Recording available if you send me a PM.

PxqQ8UJ.
    nGLSA3P.
    DJnN4jG.

More pictures here:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 10:39 PM
  2. i've seen similar kolstein maggini basses in person - the double purfling is georgeous..

the other basses i've seen have a similar top wood - is that just very wide - grained spruce? it's beautiful.

these are serious orchestra basses.

3. Rob Thompson

Part of the unique look of the top is that it's slab cut, which is a different direction of cutting the wood so that you won't see the typical straight grain down the top. I believe the top is also made of fir, which is similar to spruce but looks a little different.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    groooooove likes this.
  4. Rob Thompson

If anybody is interested in hearing this bass, PM me and I can link you a video.