Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kolstein Travel Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by basss, Aug 28, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    This looks like a cool bass if a bit pricey for what it is. Anyone try one?
    Kolstein Travel Bass

2. I have played one, and its well worth the money is you are going to do travel alot and cant bring a Db along. It's head and shoulders above the Azola and other EUBs, seeing as its a fully carved bass and such.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Doesn't it kinda look like an Eminence? A super, spiffed up, well made Eminence?

5. It might be thinner and a shade shorter but unless it fits into a special baggage handler-proof case does it make that much of a difference?

One problem with EUBs that I guess might apply to this is that with them being thinner and lighter, the wieght there is being on the same axis as the endpin they are prone to spinning, not having the inertia of a db.

Could you play this thing successfully accousticly at a gig I wonder? If not, isn't it a bit like having a db with ultra-low strings - IMHO effectively a form of EUB by default? Looks gorgeous but its a lotta bucks.

Whatever, the proffusion (relatively) of compact dbs for travelling in the US seems to be a product of the greater distances you have to travel out there. People do fly around the UK but only on business expenses or if they live near an airport and the cheap deals don't mean an expensive journey to the check-in.

6. "It looks like he got the idea from this Bass he's had for awhile; http://www.kolstein.com/instruments...894/index.shtml"
    Mr.Smith? have you played that little bass? I am very curious about it.

7. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    Spinning is not a problem with the Eminence: it has an "anti-rotational" T-shaped endpin.

8. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Barrie had it at Kalamazoo. I tried it and it played and sounded very well. Unfortunately, it didn't have a pickup mounted to give an idea how that would work, but I would venture to guess it would do well given the amount of acoustic tone it had. Much better sounding acoustically than an Eminence but bigger as well. It would certainly be a smaller package than a full sized bass with a nice quality tone and construction with a real bass feel to match.

Ike

9. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Does it come with a detachable neck?

I have an Eminence that I use for acoustic arco practice while traveling on business, but I'd love to have something that sounded a bit more like a bass. The Mario Lamarre travel bass also looks really interesting.

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thats kinda what I would guess just by looking at it. Did the narrow shoulders feel awkward at all? Was the neck too close because of this?

11. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I don't recall any specific feel problems, there were SO many instruments to look at. Seemed like it wasn't much of a problem to handle. It didn't have a detachable neck that I recall. That wouldn't be something I would care for since many bass strings take so long to settle in.

He also told me they made a ply copy of the full size Lafaro bass to give to Scotty's high school and turned out to be a great sounding bass. Lucky kids.

Ike

12. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    I imagine others got the email from Kolstein about Willie Weeks playing one of these basses in the playing of the National Anthem tomorrow. Not that we can really tell anything about it, ...but we can SEE IT!:D

13. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Iwas at Barrie's the other day and tried it breifly. It felt good and was acoustically was louder than my Eminence removable neck EUB. I didn't play it for long 'cause I was there to try out bows, but I did't remember feeling any stability problem w/it. And it WAS constructed beautifully.
    It probably was the nicest feeling EUB that I've tried and I've tried a fair amount, but $6K w/ the hard travel case? I don't know. I've had my Eminence for about 4 years and travel w/ it often. Very convenient. No baggage overage charges and it comes out w/ the golf clubs. After I had the fingerboard reshaped (it comes really too flat) it's really pretty good. Especially w/ the massive Rock amps that most sound co.'s give you on the road for backline. DB would feed back w/ these, but the Eminence sounds better w/ them than small DB amps. I'll bet the Kolstein bass is more prone to feedback than the Eminence, but I did not get to try it amplified.

That's my 2 cents.

BG

14. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    Thanks, BG. I was actually surprised the Kolstein was featured so prominently in the TV shots. It wuz real purty.:p

I did wonder how it compares to the Eminence, so close the two look in concept. Your comments as an Eminent Eminencer :rolleyes: are worth a lot more than 2 cents IMO!

15. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Anytime! BG

16. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    So THAT'S what that was at the Super Bowl! I was watching, thinking "now, I thought I'd seen every EUB made, and I don't know what that is..."

It looks cool, but that short scale length really freaks me out--I don't even like going back and forth between my own bass at 42.75" and the school's bass at 41.5" because of how much it throws off my intonation, so I think 39" would be a drag (especially for $6K and still apparently a bit of a hassle at the baggage counter). If I had that much money to spend, I would save a big chunk of it and check out the Guy-Dawson travel bass.
    'Course, not being able to play and compare the instruments makes it hard to decide...