Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kolstein VariCor E & A

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Jan 30, 2004.

1. I'm getting new strings...and after Dominants and Obligatos , i need a change of pace...Im looking into Corelli G and D , but that would be a whole 'nuther thread...I would like to know what VariCors are like...If someone here has used them , please tell me your opinions on them , mostly bowed info needed...and obviously , the E and A being the prime concern.....

2. I use the Kolsteins and I consider them to be the perfect hybrid strings. Since you are primarily interested in the E and A, I can say that they have a very focussed tone bowed. They have a much higher tension than Corelli's, however, so I don't know whether they are a good match.

Vincent

3. Was the bow sound clean?

4. The bow sound is without scratches, if that is what you mean (which of course also depend on you bowing skills...).

5. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I have a set of Original Flexocores and switched the E-string to Varicore. The sound when bowed was too metallic sounding on my bass. My teacher suggested I change it back to the Orig. Flex, it didn't blend well and she thought the sound was lacking a clear fundamental with too much harmonics. Good luck

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I used VariCors I found them to be excellent for both pizz and arco.

One string was damaged when my bass was in a car wreck. When I contacted Kolstein over whether a crease in the winding would eventually cause the string to fail, they just sent me a new string!

They have a darker pizz tone than Spiros or Helicores, if you like a lot of zing in your pizz you may not be happy with them. If you need to do a fair amount of arco work, they bow better than ANY other string I've ever used.

7. Can anyone give me a tension....not specific numbers , but relative .....Im thinking of using them with corelli 370f's but i dont wanna have a weird bow thing going on

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Varicors E & A are thick and high tension, and wouldn't fit well with Corelli 370's IMHO.
    But that's just my opinion.

François

9. I was also thinking of getting to solo tuning varicores and tuning them orchestra...

10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    A good idea! :)

11. Ive ordered Corelli 370M G & G
    & Helicore arco med. E & A

if i dont like the helicores , will try varicores.then permanents..