1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kolstein Vincenzo Panormo Bass Violin

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by THEBASSMAN193, Apr 13, 2006.

1. It sure looks good, and I would imagine it's at least a pretty decent bass. Any ideal what he wants for it? At the price I imagine he's asking, I'd probably be more inclined to search out an older bass, but this one might be just the ticket if you want something a bit more practical...

2. its 18,000

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    finished in NY

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio

5. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Let us not forget that the most important factor is how it sounds. If you think it sounds like an $18K bass (and you have the money), then go for it. Don't forget, however, to try tons of other basses in the same price range before making that decision. Let the sound speak for itself.

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I can almost guarantee that a $10k bass from Schnitzer would sound and play just as nice.

When I was at Kolstein, I played all kinds of basses cheap and expensive (up to $20k) and none of them did much for me.

7. Where is Schnitzer located?

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Brewster, NY -- http://www.aesbass.com

To be fair there are a few luthiers on this forum who all seem to do top-notch work. Jeff Bollbach, Arnold Schnitzer, Nick Lloyd, Upton Bass... who am I missing? Schnitzer is the only one of them I've gone to see.

9. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    as far as i know, the basses he sells with his name on them for under 10k are made in germany and finished in ny, but the ones in the 18k range are hand made by him in ny start to finish.

10. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    As far as YOU know. The question is how far do I know.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    well, i dont know how far you know, but i'm just going on what the man himself told me. the lesser priced ones are roughed out in europe and finished here, but not so for the higher priced ones.

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ken, i think you and i are talking about 2 different people...

13. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I knew that.

14. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Didn't Jeff B. spend some of his earlier days working in Kolstein's shop? Maybe I'm conflating things because Freeport and Baldwin are quite near each other, but I thought I picked up this information at some point.

15. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Yes he did.

16. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thnaks for the info, but i've been dealing with him for a few years now as i have one of his basses and he's stood by it 100%. i have no complaints. i can bring it in whenever i want for a tune up and he never charges me, and, when i first got my bass, i brought it from my humidified room in my house to a dry club with the heat on in the middle of winter. the top cracked right on stage. a major repair for sure as it went from the edge to pretty far down into the top. barrie fixed it for free and contunues to monitor the repair and has tuned it up once for free maybe 2 years or so after it was done. to me, that's standing by your work.

17. wearp

wearp

Oct 16, 2004
    I have had very positive experiences at Barrie's shop too. I purchased what I thought would be a second instrument from his shop a few years ago. It was Liandro DiVacenza (model 750), which is a "student" line of instruments for a very reasonable price. I love this bass so much that I now play it more than my Gabriel Jaquet (1860). In fact, I have been considering selling the Jaquet of late. In my experience, quality of an instruments sound and ease of playing is only one small part of its purrchase price. It you are bass shopping, don't be afraid to play instruments well BELOW your target price too. You never know...you might just find a gem!

18. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    The various kinds of Kolstein basses that I've been able to play out here on the west coast seem to have been geared toward orchestral playing of one kind or another, whether they are built entirely in New York or white instruments roughed out European stock that are graduated and finished in the shop. Some of them have been good jazz basses too. My favorites so far have been the larger models, particularly with wider C bouts.

Some day I hope to make the pilgrimage out to see Barrie Kolstein's large shop to admire the great vintage instruments in stock and to see examples of Sam and Barrie Kolstein's work from the 1960s on. I'd sure like to draw a bow across instruments like this Panormo that has been discussed here. The only shop that I know of out here on the west coast with 60 basses on the floor for sale or in repair is Jon Pederson's World of Strings in Long Beach. I call it the "Church of Basses".

Steve Swan

19. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    The Panormo family had such a distinctive style, it's almost unbelievable to see that bass being marketed as a Panormo copy.