Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kolsteins rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Has anyone tried the kolsteins rosin...I'm mostly interested in the all weather and the hard...

2. I have a cake of the Kolstein All-Weather, and I like it just fine -- works better for me than Pops. I don't play in an orchestra, but most of my practice is with the bow, and the Kolstein seems to do everything rosin is supposed to do.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I love the Duo Pak. Half moon of hard and half moon of soft. I used to use the All-weather, but this is better.

4. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Yes, a generous section mate laid me onto a cake of all- weather. I was using Pops, which is soft, sticky and very grabby. Kolsteins is finer, does not glob up on strings. I think it's pretty good but it's just the second kind I've tried. I just started serious arco a few years ago and it seems to me Pops is good for beginners as it grabs so, but as chops are refined so should one's rosin.

5. I used to use Pop's, I also tried Kolsteins Soft, but I tought they were both too sticky. I also tried some really hard, cheap stuff, that was too powdery.

I use Kolstien All Weather now and I am quite pleased with it.

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hello Prankster

I've used a few different kinds of rosin, and I do dig the Kolsteins that the other folks have mentioned. Currently, I use Nymans, and I like it a lot. It's definitely much finer than Pops, though it still grabs well.

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Kolstein is fine rosin, but it's a relatively expensive rosin that should be used until the cake disappears to get the most of one's money.

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I use Pop's exclusively. I used to use the All-Weather, then Carlson's, then Nyman's, etc... I switched to Pop's about 4 years ago and never looked back. I get a great attack and it is definitely not as gritty sounding to me as others. The key with Pop's is to use it sparingly, clean off your strings everytime you play, and rehair your bow when it needs it. I currently use black hair with Pop's and I do mostly Orchestral playing. Just be careful with it, it's messy...

Brian G.

9. I myself am currently using Nymans...

10. I decided to finally go the Gary Karr route. I now use a base layer of Nymans , (barely enough to bow with) , then i pour on the hidersine cello rosin. I love it. Such a smooth sound , except the open A string which sometimes doesnt grab.

11. I use both of Carlson and Nymans, a base layer of Nymans with Carlson on top. That can make much improvment on my bass.
    I used to use Pop's, but feel it too soft and very grabby too.

Pongsak
    bangkok, thailand

12. I change my previous post ; worked well with the Obligatos. , not the high tension corellis and helicore orch meds...Eww.. :spit:

13. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    i find that the best rosins to use are both pops and carlston. I use pops in the winter and carlston in the summer, it is the best of both worlds.

14. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    I loved my Carlson rosin until one day, after an orchestra concert, I lost it. My teacher later gave me some Kolstein's medium and I think it's almost as good. My friend, however, used to have Kolstein's soft and had to get his bow rehaired shortly after buying it because he put too much on.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think there is some room to choose your rosin based on what you need to do. I've been using cello rosin and love the sound that I get with it. I'll occasionally dab on some Nyman when the stick starts to get a little too slippy on the strings (once or twice a month). If I'm doing section stuff with a local community orchestra I like to have a little more goo, and also when I'm out with the Three Irish tenors for the XMas tour I'll add a little Nyman, especially when we're in a poorly heated hall and I know I'm gonna have to grab the stick and hit some big, low notes with a cold bow.

I put up a sound clip of my bow/mic studies, and on that I had Nyman. For that application it sounded a little nasal and rosin-y for me. I'll likely be putting another clip up in the next week with the cello stuff I use and I think the sound will be noticably different.

A little off-topic, for which I apologize, but I thought it a relevant thought...