1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kompoz, general rant, need advice.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TyCobb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. TyCobb

TyCobb

Feb 17, 2014
    Folsom, CA
    First, sorry if this post is not structured in a more intelligible format or if there was a better sub-forum I should have posted to :confused:

I am trying to force myself to "master" the bass. Don't take it the wrong the way -- I love playing bass and always have, but it's the learning and theory that I am trying to force upon myself.

A couple of years ago (maybe 1? I don't remember) I found Kompoz and I had fun with it. Got a Focusrite and began to noodle around with the songs and come up with bass parts. That was fun and learned a little bit about theory.

Life happened; did other things.

Tried to go back to it several months ago and got really pissed off that almost everything I looked at were requesting instruments that a) the original already had in it and b) were already submitted months prior and were really solid contributions. It's like people just throw some random track up, request parts on the site and walk away to never be seen again all the while people are actually dedicating time to their initial submission.

So today I thought, "it must have gotten better". Went to the site and nothing has changed.

Are there any alternatives? Anyone else try that site out?

I am not actually looking to submit anything, it was just initially a great place to find some nice new music that was completely bass free. What I have been doing for the last week is loading up Spotify and trying to find songs without bass (usually some form of blues as a lot either has no bass or is really hard to hear). Then attempting to come up with anything before the song ends in hope I can also help train my ear trying to find out what chords are what.

Sorry for the long rant.

For those that don't jam, gig, etc., and only have your bass, what do you do to learn? My only other thought is looking into doing my own transcriptions.

2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Not familiar with Kompoz or Focusrite, so no insight there. IF this is free site, then you get what you pay for. Any yahoo can do whatever floats their boat which can be frustrating for those trying to use something seriously. Just goes with the territory.

For me, if I'm learning cover tunes, I just play along with the original track. I rarely play parts note for note and just turn my amp loud enough so that I don't hear the bass on the original (after I figure what's "required" and what is optional in regards to that song's bass line).

In the last few months, I've been exploring jazz and find that I do like to have backing tracks without bass for standards. I've found that youtube has a lot of this kind of stuff available. Most standards have one or more bassless backing tracks and there are a fair amount of general chord progressions that you can use to apply bass lines or even solo over. This isn't perfect and I do so prefer to work with live bodies, but they get you by. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they exist for other genres as well.

If you're looking to collaborate on original music, I believe there are several sites for this. I don't recall what they are at the moment. You can also either watch Craig's List or post your own. Of course, you need to have decent recording equipment for this to work right.

3. As far as playing along to bassless tracks on the net..

I go on YouTube Music..then select QuistJam bassless tracks..good selection there by itself. But on the right sidebar it shows videos of dozens by others as well.

I'm continually discovering new bassless tracks there. Most recently I discovered a whole world of bassless Bossa Nova tracks..

I don't know if this compares to Kompoz in any way because I've never used that.

4. TyCobb

TyCobb

Feb 17, 2014
    Folsom, CA
    Yea, Kompoz can just be a free site depending on what you want to do and what you describe is basically my issue. Focusrite is just a company that makes audio interfaces so I can record.

I've been thinking about doing what you mentioned. Kompoz was just nice initially because if I ever did come up with something that I felt was really good, there was always the possibility of submitting it and the bonus was I got to play around as a recording engineer a little bit. I guess I can still do that with any bassless tracks I find.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely have to try that out. Never thought about using YouTube for some reason to try and you both seem to have found stuff through it so I'll give it a spin tonight hopefully.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

ZenG likes this.