Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korean 5-string Shoot outs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Jan 11, 2002.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Korean Imports have come a long way in quality control. One ax just seems better than the next. So help me out, what import kicks the most butt (as in bang for the buck).

Ibanez BTMQ 5 string

Schecter Stelletto 5s

Dean 5 (various)

MTD Kingston 5

ESP LTD 5s

Yamaha 5 (well, its made in Taiwan, but...)

and [fill in blank]

Ron

2. The Yamaha TRB-II is actually a VERY high-end bass.. these puppies cost about $ 2500..
    not to be underestimated..

3. I can only recommend the ones I played so, if you wnat "Bang for the buck," I'd say either Ibanez BTB405Qm or any of the Yamaha 5 strings. RBX series or BB series. I've heard a lot of good things about Kingstons.

Mike J.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I've tried the Ibanez and MTD, liked the MTD better.

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    IMO,
    mtd kingston and lakland skyline are cream of the crop.
    THE pride of Korea, right after ChanHo Park!
    :D

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Also made in Japan, not Korea, right?

7. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    spector ns2000's

not just cus i have one :p . i really think that they are the higest quality basses from korea. they have superior materials and components.

oh well im waayyyy to tired and cant think of anything more to say....

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Lakland Skylines set the new standard.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't forget the Brian Moore i5.

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Ibanez EDB605GP - most bang for your buck.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Lakland Skyline and MTD Kingston are great in this price range. I tried a Toby Pro 5 once, and it played very nicely too.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Brian Moore belongs in the "cream of the crop" from Korea, along with the MTD Kingston and Lakland Skyline. The Conklin Groove Tools is nicely made, but I don't particularly like its proportions. In general, you get good results when you combine an overseas factory with a boutique label that cares a bit about its reputation. They crack the whip where QC is concerned.

As for the TRB-IIs, I think they're made in Yamaha's Kaoshiung, Taiwan factory, along with most of Yamaha's guitar output.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Skylines and MTD's are the cream of the crop in Korean basses, but I too, have to give a nod to
    Brian Moore basses. VERY nice pieces.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have to check one out! ive heard great things!! who has them?

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My vote for the Korean made spector neck thrus.
    Korean MTD's are REAL nice to.

17. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'll say the Kingston (cause I own one and I want to justify my purchase :D )

And the Ibanez BTB, too; it's only shortfall being the unavailability of a maple fingerboard.

18. I agree, the Brian Moore i2000 series basses are among the most overlooked basses period.

www.bmcguitars.com

19. I'm probbly getting a Cort Artisan A5 - M.I. Korea. Any opinions on these? RRP $995 US, i'm getting it for AU$1440 with case.

I like it, but have only played it in the shop, and not through my amp .... i hate playing while the guys in Fender shirts play van halen licks and snigger in the background ...

20. Ignore them man....just do your own thing. The Yamaha instruments cannot really be compared with the others, because most of the others are made in the CorTek factory in Korea, and the Yamahas are made in their own purpose built factory in Taiwan. It seems that the CorTek people have lifted their standards a huge amount in the last 2 or 3 years, which is why Tobias, Spector, etc are using them for their budget range.