Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

korean bass bargain??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by furiously funky, May 24, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    hey, i just thought of something!
    my Girlfriend is Korean. So, would it be cheeper to buy a Korean made bass in Korea and have it shipped to North America rather than buying one here???
    has anyone done this or know if it would be worth looking into?
    thanks for the help :)

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what does your girlfriend have anything to do with a bass being cheaper?

i don't think it would be cheaper...you still have ti have it built and shipped over seas...

bp13

3. When a Korean guitar/bass manufacturer ships its wares to the US, it ships them in bulk, by ship. It's pretty cheap to do so. Most international shipping options, OTOH, are expensive airborne ones.

Any savings will be eaten by the extra cost of shipping, and let's not even go into import duties.

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    bass player 13. you asked why my girlfriend had anything to do with this. sorry, i thought this would be self explanitory. Her family lives in korea, so someone would be able to pick a bass up from a factory outlet (do they have thoes for basses?) and send it over to canada. thats what my girl friend has to do with it. i would have thought you'd have figured that out. sorry again for not being clear. do you know if this would work?

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, you could do it, but it'd cost a fortune in shipping and it would take much longer than driving down to the store and picking one up.

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

ahh...not a problem...i didn't kno that her family lived in korea...i assumed they were in the US...

bobby

7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    I'm not even in the U.S. ;) thanks for responding

8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i should really be more observant...

bobby

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The only way I see it being less expensive is if you wait till one of her relatives visits her & see if they can bring the bass as carry on in the airpalne & hope that you/they don't get hit with customs charges.