1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Korean Fender Experts... need your help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
  2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Looks totally fake to me. That serial seems odd, and the font is one I've never seen. And some Squiers are made in Korea, but I don't recall a Fender badged one. Fishy.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Does he have the paperwork? Could be fake but it does look nice.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  4. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I searched the web for a limited edition Prince bass... didn't find anything. Also, if Prince would have commissioned it, I think they might have used the proper symbol.

I asked a question, but haven't received an answer yet...

5. There was Korean Fender models and that probably is legit but not worth close to 750. 350 maybe

6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I’m no expert, but Fender has had some Fender-branded instruments made in Korea. For example, I owned a MIK Fender Jazz bass that was made back in about 2000 (I forget the exact year, but 1999 sticks out in my memory). It was of very similar quality to the MIM instruments of the time, the one really noteable difference being that both Jazz pickups were of the same length and so a normal J pickup replacement set wouldn’t fit without modification.

Recently, I came across the following thread which dredged up some of those memories, plus I learned a few things in there too (like that the instruments were intended for sale only in Pacific Rim [other than the US] countries, which was an "Ah ha!’" moment for me):
    Korean made stratocaster help (not a squier)

Perhaps more to the point, here’s Fender’s info on serial numbers for Korean made FMIC instruments:
    How can I find out when my Korean-made instrument was manufactured?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Acoustic356 likes this.
  7. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Almost $800 with shipping for a heavily modified MIK bass from 1993? Yikes. My made-in-Korea '93 Ibanez was under $100 on ebay and it was probably made in the same factory as this. Korean basses from the 90's are decent but they were generally the low end models of any given brand. Also, is the pic of the headstock blurry for everyone else or is it just my browser? That seems kinda suspicious.