Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korean-made DB?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BIg O, Apr 28, 2003.

1. I am a long-time BG player interested in taking up DB at some time in the future, and keep my eyes open for deals on instruments.

Last week I found a used plywood(?) DB for sale at a local music shop, and they have no info on it whatsoever, other than they "think" it is Korean made (I could find no markings on the instrument on a quick superficial examination).

Does anyone know of any Korean makers? I have found on searches here the names Roth and Sunrise, any comments on value for $ on these? Any type of markings to find out who this bass may have been be made by?

The intent is for me to find a playable beginner's instrument to take lessons with at some time in the near future (once I find a teacher), and this bass felt and sounded reasonable to my untrained ear and inexperienced hands. For $1000 CAD (about 700 US) it seems reasonably priced. Any comments would be appreciated.

Anything to "look for" in terms of basic quality (that might not be apparent to a BG player) of the bridge construction, tailpiece, tuners, fingerboard etc? The body itself is in reasonable shape, the finish is very basic and unimpressive.

Thanks for your help guys!

:)

2. For comments about Roth basses, look here.

As for Sunrise, I think Lemur Music, a big name in the DB world, sells them. Considering Lemur's reputation, it would not be in their best interest to sell a crappy plywood bass. So I would wager they're at least okay.

My $.02

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Bob,
    If you jog on down to that shop with your digital camera and shoot pics of the top, back, ribs and scroll and post the pics here, I'll bet we can ID the bass for you and give you some more info.
    G/L!

4. Thanks guys; I'll try to get pics of the instrument tomorrow.

5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Knilling's lowest end bass is Korean. They are distributed by St Louis Music.
    google Knilling.

6. The Knilling flatbacks are made in South Korea and appear to be from the same factory as the Roth basses. The Knilling Korean basses are trouble prone (same problems as the Roths) from my experience repairing for a local school districts. I have yet to see a Korean made bass or cello that I would recommend.

7. I almost bought a Korean upright at Lemur, but Jerry talked me into the next step up ,Chinese model. Well worth it. An excellent 1st bass. Much more tone. I had mine for 2.5 years. Just bought another bass from Jerry @ Lemur. Good guy. My old chinese bass is there for sale now. Check it out!

Good luck

8. Wait, a Chinese model a step up from a Korean one? Man, that sets the entire Pacific Rim economy on its head... :D

I'm going to start looking for an affordable DB within the next few months myself, so this is good to know.

9. OK, so I took a few pics. Anyone know what this is (or is likely to be)? A thorough check this time, and no markings. (Ignore the wire/pickup assembly added by the shop's repair tech).

[​IMG]

10. .... So guys, is this a Korean Bass, and by whom? Any thoguths are mucho appreciado!
    [​IMG]

11. It looks a lot like the Cumora stilling behind me.
    Non matching stings, pin stripes, color in a way where you really can see the wood even thou at first site you think you can.

My 2 questions would be, is it an ebony finger board or a black painted board.
    Do the tuners squeal, are they hard to turn.

That it the features of mine. I planted some Irish Ivy in mine, once the vines come out of the F holes I am shipping it to Don.

12. I forgot to look at the board closely, I'll look again. I am assuming that, for the price, it is not ebony, but I will check it out.

Any other comments guys? Is this a planter like gruffpuppy's? Or is there a better $700 beginner bass somewhere?

13. Bump. Any comments? Slings and arrows? Anything?

Hey - post # 900, cool...