1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Korean Pbass - MIK - dating ? Loose wires ! w/ pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SWILLKILL, Aug 11, 2007.

1. SWILLKILL

SWILLKILL Banned

Apr 24, 2007
    a friend who doesnt play music at all had this in the back of his closet and now its mine.

i checked the fender website for dating and for Korean models they have '' dating unclear ''. how can they not know the dates of production? how do i date this?

there are 2 wires loose (from what i see) from wherever they were connected - i never really look at wiring and have yet to look it up to see where these go - the yellow wire seems to be a ground ? the black wire comes from the pickup. i can solder so i am able to fix that part.

the neck has a slight bow to it. the bridge string ferrules? or what ever its called -- have been lowered to the point they are touching the bridge.
    4qsfjm1.
    6g49qc1.
    53hetdc.
    4q364ax.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Those are both ground wires, just solder them to the pot where the other wires are grounded. Have you plugged that thing in yet? I'd imagine it would buzz like crazy if you did. Anyway straighten out that neck and then set the action. If the saddles have to be that low, odds are you might need to shim the neck. That should be a nice little fixer upper. Good luck!

3. Both wires are grounds. the black one from the pick-up can go to the "blob" on the upper left pot (volume) that is open. The yellow wire (bridge ground) can go to the jack at the upper spot with the extra flux(amber colored stuff) and the black wire(ground). That'll get you hooked up. Hopefully the pick-up is still good to go. As far as the set-up goes, well, it needs one. The truss rod will have to be adjusted for proper neck relief (hopefully it still works) and then the bridge can be properly set-up. I suggest you do the soldering and get a professional to set-up the rest. If you really want to, you can read up and try it yourself. Here's a decent article on set-up to get you going. It ain't rocket surgery(well, sometimes it seems to be).
    Josh

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/setups.txt

4. SWILLKILL

SWILLKILL Banned

Apr 24, 2007
    thanks for all the help! :bassist:

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I just replaced the pots on the same bass, same color scheme even, with some CTS and a Switchcraft jack, and threw in a Reverend pup for kicks. Sounds great!

By the way, yours is a 1992 model. The "C" in the serial number is Korea (that's the way it's spelled there), N2 = 92. Adjust the relief in the neck yourself with the proper allen wrench - go a quarter turn and wait a while.