Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

korean spector pu question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mva, Jul 5, 2002.

1. mva

mva

Jul 1, 2002
    hi all, i registered to see if anyone has any ideas about this question. i have a korean spector 4 string which has many redeeming qualities, except the electronics and pickups seem less than faithfull to the qualities of the wood. what i'm feeling in the fingerboard and body seems a lot better than what is coming out of the amp (eden WT500). my first instinct is to try a passive bypass around the preamp. it has the original pickups and preamp. any ideas?

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I had a old NS2A which was the Korean version of the NS2 made during the Kramer Era (Mid to late 80s). It originally had EMG HZ (high impedance) pickups in like your's does. I had an old set of premium EMGs laying around so I switched them (pickups only/not electronics). This made a world of difference and made the bass sound almost as good as my USA Spectors.

3. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've got an NS2a ( korean ) which had passive 'spector' pickups ( actually designed by emg I hear), with no preamp. I upgraded to to a 3 band eq system with EMG pickups.... It cost me a buttload of cash, but the bass sounds great and can pull oput all sorts of tones now!

4. mva

mva

Jul 1, 2002
    EMG hmm. Would I be able to use the stock powered preamp or would they require emg electronics? Couldn't use them passive or? These are good suggestions btw. Is there a specific model pickup you guys are using?

5. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm using the EMG p/j set ( the p is reversed compared to fender...) and the BQC EQ. I would email spector and ask if them if the preamp is compatible ( although i suspect it would be...). Spector had wonderfull support when I emailed them before.

My spector didn't even have a preamp when I got it ( vol/vol, tone/tone and a pickup switch(?)). It's a cheaper korean model; through body neck, no belly contour, no active anything. I'd really like the contour, but other than that it's now spector-ific.

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Same thing I had. "Spector" pickups and "EMG Selects" are the same pickups, EMG HZ (high impedence).

7. mva

mva

Jul 1, 2002
    mine is neck through, contoured body and the preamp has bass and treble eqs plus two volume pots. has anyone tried bartolinis in one? i gather they have a more even sound.

8. mva

mva

Jul 1, 2002
    bear with me here, what is a BQC?

9. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
  10. I also have a korean made proffesional series spector, that i have recently defretted. I am think about upgrading the [ickups from EMG HZ to an emg p/j combo. Maybe even adding an aguilar preamp like the american and european spectors.

anyone have any thoughts on this? P/J best for frettless or a humbucker at the neck?

would an obp1 fit in the existing cavity?

is it worth spending this sort of money on a mid price bass or should i just sell it a buy a better frettles?:confused:

11. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im pretty sure we have the same bass, and i have NEVER ever played a bass that touches this one in the under a grand catagory. Id be very interested to hear and play your fretless one. The only thing id worry about is wearing down that fretboard. Mine is the same weight, body style, and body curve as the american ones. I also would like to put a new preamp and/or pickups in mine, but its so darn expensive. If anyone has sum old EMG's or or a good PJ setup or preamp hit me up. I also want to know how well your guys pickups changes in your spectors work out.