Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korean Spector vs Ibanez 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frosty, Feb 19, 2003.

1. frosty

frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    ..anybody have an opinion on the Korean Spectors?
    I played a used 5 string today. Good neck for a 5,
    scratchy pots (no biggie), a little beat but I guess
    I'm concerned with overall quality of these. The
    EMG's sounded good but I didnt look at the cavity
    or anything. Whatdaya think? The guy also had an
    Ibanez 6 string that was pretty cool (and better
    shape) for about the same $. Help please.

2. They likely come from the same factory, CorTek.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Go Spector.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    GO spector!!!

5. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Spector's have a longer scale length. Longer scale = tighter strings, bigger sound.

--Matthew

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Go Spector. If you play it side by side with an Ibanez, you'll hear the difference...

7. frosty

frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    Thanks everyone.

8. frosty

frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    I went with the Ibanez 6. It was new and kind of
    tittilating(?) The Spector was beat, finish and fret
    wear, noisy electronics and that bridge! Also it had
    grain problems on the back of the neck (you could
    feel the seams of the pieces), I've heard others
    talk of this. I must say though, had it been in better condition..who knows. Had a good feel and
    sound and a pretty (quilted look) finish. Previous
    owner had rode hard and put up wet.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The previous owner should be horsewhipped for treating a beautiful instrument in such a way!

Hope you have a great time with your Ibanez, and have an opportunity to own a Spector in the future!

:cool:

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    how sad :(..The spector si definately the better intrument. I love my Korean 5..why woudl anyone treat a Spector that way :(

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've had both and I'd favour the Ibanez. The Spector (I had a Korean NSII) wins in the electronics category and it looks a helluva lot nicer, but the older ones are prone to neck problems (and, as it happens, mine developed a bad twist... and since it was a neck through, that was that). The Ibanezes (SR506 in my case) play pretty well and are well constructed, but the electronics are kludge. I hear, though, that with upgraded pickups and preamp, they sound great.

12. Not even remotely true. It is sooooooooooooo much more complicated than that. A Stingray 5, with a 34'' scale, has a MUCH BETTER B than that Ibanez. It is not even close.

The most important factors to neck stiffness and string tightness IMO are:

1) neck and body construction quality
    2) quality of the individual parts in the bass
    3) gauge and brand/make of the strings

(As for the 3rd example, what I mean is that a .105 Fodera is A LOT TAUTER than a .105 from many other manufacturers, and a .110 Fodera is tighter then a .105)

Is there anyone here that will say a 34'' scale Warmoth or Sadowsky has a floppy B?

:silence:

That's what I thought.

;)

13. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i have two korean spectors, a 1987 ns2-a and a 2001 Q6.

the ns2a is a great bass, i've had it since 87 and its been my main instrument until recently. the neck never had any problems, it has a huge even tone, and i'm a sucker for a good neck through. that said, i'm thinking of replacing the pups and pickups, they're a little weak. the only problem i've ever had w/ this bass is the A tuner went sour and had to be replaced. simply a great instrument.

the q6, on the other hand, is not a great bass. there was a small gap at the neck joint, the purple finish was almost black and totally obscured the quilted maple top (stripped it), and the electronics were poor (removed), way to boomy and lacked definition. floppy b string as well, i'm sad to say.

i've played a gang of ibanez basses and never hit on one i liked, so over a newer q series korean spector you may indeed have gotten the better bass. the older models though are gems IMO.