Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korean spectors suck (man I'm bummed)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    First let me say that I take VERY good care of my music equipment. That being said, look at all the damage my Korean Spector NS2000 "profesional" series has suffered.

1. A red wire had not been soldered on one of the volume knobs correctly. It must have been just barely touching becuase a week after I bought the bass one of my pickups stoped working. I opened up the back and saw this loose wire and had to buy a soldering gun and fix it.

2. A "chunk" of wood has chiped off my neck. It happened on the "edge" part of the neck right near the headstock peice by the E string. I saw what looked like a crack in it or a what I thought was a hair, I rubbed the "hair" and basically a chunk fell off. What the hell?

3. The "ridges" of the strings have made deep scratches into the fretboard on frets that I bend notes with. I do not press hard when bending and can only conclude the wood is cheap crap.

4. The back pannel (or plate) that hides all the wires and battery of the pickups on the back of the bass is this weird cheap plastic crap stuff that can scratch extremely easily. There are tons of scratches, very ugly looking. Brush your finger nail down it and you can make a big noticable scratch on this "plate."

5. Sometimes I use a felt pick and I used a paper towel to wipe up some felt dust on the pickups and the papertowl left scratches on the finish of the bass and I didn't press it down hard or anything.

6. There is already a place were a chip of paint fell off. (small but noticeable) This is not in a place were it was damaged but by how the "clear coating" of it looks, its more like a factory defect.

I have only owned this bass 4 months and it looks like crap. I keep it up on a stand, use a case for transportation, and am very carefull and have never dropped the thing or banged it hard. My girlfriend actually made fun of me because I am so careful with it.

I am very disappointed. I used to think Spector was a great name brand.

I *was* thinking of buying a 5 string "Rebop" but now am thinking of a Fender Jazz 5 string instead. My friend who owns a Fender Jazz uses it for gigs and doesn't treat it well, yet it looks in better condition then mine.

:bawl:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm saying you gota lemon. Every Spec I've played looked great (played a lot that have a lot of miles on them mind you) has looked, felt, and sounded great. I've played Euro, Czech (sp?) and Korean ones (actually just bought an NS2000/5, should be here wednesday!). As always though YMMV.

Ray

3. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    My spector of almost 4 years is better now than it was then, its korean ns2000/5. plays better than most basses in the same price range or it could be that I know where her G spot is, so to speak, to make her groove and purr.

Just bring your bass to a mechanic..........for bass, and fix it up. There's no shame in putting money into something you enjoy, if you do. Or you could return where you bought it from.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It's mass produced in Korea, and that is possible to happen on any mass produced, mid priced instrument. Surely in 4 months you have replaced the battery? Things get bumped, this may or may not be the case.

If this happened immediately after, or at the time of purchase....why didn't you return it?

In my opinion, this is a touch normal wear, and part user abuse. The strings should never come into contact with the actual fingerboard under _normal_ playing conditions.

It's plastic, and not uncommon with any bass.

Read me your users manual, or any users manual that tells you to do this. Paper towels are made of.......um, paper. Paper is made of wood. User error.

That's possible, but also more than possible in 4 months of use it could have happened by bumping something, and not even realizing it. After 4 months, I personally and not bothered by a chip.

Define hard? Doesn't have to be hard to chip the finish. Are you the ONLY one ever around this bass? Live alone? Have a dog or cat?

Consider two things. One, this is a mid level, mid priced instrument. The things you stated are more than likely par for the course for the price range of a low end Korean bass after 4 month of use.

Secondly, you have made NO mention of contacting Spector to see about these issues, but rather chose to publically slag someome in an internet forum, only posting one side of the story, when if you read between the lines it sounds like user abuse, and a squeeky wheel. Any anyone who uses a paper towl on a gloss finished instrument, then screams JUNK when it scratches has my doubts.

Lame

5. Spectors are great instruments, but I would never buy a korean made spector again. The Czech models, and USA are great, but I had my korean made 5 string for about a week, and it did absolutely nothing for me. I would take my peavey foundation over it any day of the week.

6. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    No offense Tim but you seem rather biased and VERY emotional, sorta like a "*** man don't mess with my little bro!" kind of a deal.

-L-A-M-E- is having your pickups go out on a brand new bass because whoever put it together can't solder.

-L-A-M-E- is using a peice of garbage for the back plate to cover the wires of the insturment. It looks like the plate was made by melting plastic bags over used cardboard. Hence it scratches easily.

-L-A-M-E- is having "bubbles" in your coating when you paint and gloss the bass.

-L-A-M-E- is using weak wood to make the fretboard with.

Oh yeah and Tim, I specifically named K O R E A N Spectors.

7. Funny how my Korean Spector owns.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just calling it like the impression I got, nothing personal. I've owned Korean Spectors.....I have two NS-2A's that are nearly 20 years old and still kick butt. I've had a 2000/5 and it was a fine instrument, as are many others that satisfy their owners as well.

Again, if this fell apart instantly, why didn't you return it? I still stand by my statement that this isn't the way to take care of this. Email Spector, you may be surprised.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What did Spector have to say? Surely you contacted them before you opened this thread to bash their instruments?? I called Spector one time about a mod to my NS2000/5, and PJ was MORE than helpful.

I have owned several Spectors, and have never had one problem. Unless you got royally ripped off, you did not pay a fortune for your bass. So, what exactly where you expecting from this mid-level instrument? As an example.....you are worried about the plastic that covers the control cavity? What should it have been made out of?

-Mike

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    This thread needs to be taken out back and beaten like a red-headed step child...

TAKE IT BACK, or at least say you did try to contact Spector.

You should Change your screen name.

11. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Here is the letter I wrote. I am extremely tired. Hopefully I got my point across. I left out the issues with the scratches because that is my fault.

Hello,

I bought a Korean "professional series" bass 4 months back and have had quality issues with the bass ever since. Let me also say that I take very good care of my insturments. Although I am new to the bass, I have played the drums for 11 years. People would even say I am too compulsive about protecting my gear. The 2 major issues being,

1. Whoever solders and works on the electronics of the bass did a terrible job. A week after I bought the bass one of my pickups went out. The wires were not properly soldered on to the "prongs" of the volume knobs. Specifically, a red wire that connects to a prong had fallen off. I had to buy a soldering gun and re-do half the wires in there.

2. The wood of the fretboard is very very weak. A small "chunk" of it fell off near the edge were the F note is played near the head stock of the E string. I saw what looked like was a hair (it was a crack) rubbed it with my fingers and the wood crumbled into slivers like cheap plywood. If any more of this wood flakes off I am worried there will be a "depression" on the fretboard that will effect the action of the F note played on the E string as mentioned earlier.

3. Another issue I have, which is a very minor one, is that the plate that covers the wires on the back of the bass is very, very weak and cheap. It scratches extremelly easily, and looks very ugly. Similar plates on cheap basses such as an Ibanez GSR205 I looked at seem to have a much higher quality plate, which is odd considering that the Ibanez is a cheaper bass.

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Why from reading that first post do i have a feeling that there will soon be a post about how bad fenders suck and they scratch to easy? I used to work at a music store and we sold spector! (Hints why i now own a usa 5 string) And we would get those korean models in all the time! We hade a few in there for long periods of time and probably hundred diff people playing with them and little kids dropping them and all inds of stuff! Never seen a problem with them! Dont really ever remember anyone returning one for any other reason that to up grade to a better spector! I personally treat my basses better than i treat my wife! :D I dont dust,wax,polish,or buff her! Well not that i will admit too!~ :eyebrow:

13. Im not directly gentle with my gear, but my korean spector is solid.

As for wiping the finish with paper, read manual and try soft cloth as stated there.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    OK, I've asked this question at least a dozen times without success, but I'll try it again here:

Who manufactures the Korean Spector basses?

Here's a possible hint: When you have them apart, what (if anything) does it say on the back of the full-size potentiometers?

I think I know, but I want some independent confirmation. If it's who I think, it'll be stamped into the back of the pots.

15. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses

Well, that saves me opening my mouth.... you summed up my thoughts completely! :) :smug:

I've owned various Korean Spectors and they have all been extremely well made and sounded great... :bassist:

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Would it kill some of you to admit that maybe, just maybe the guy got ahold of a dud? It happens. Hell, even Mercedes makes a bad vehicle from time to time. It seems like everyone can understand that duds happen............until their favorite brand gets called out.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Conclude may not be the right word here, I'd use "Speculate" instead. This will happen on any bass if you bend strings. I have some marks on the Ebony fingerboard of my Peavey Palaedium from a song I used to bend strings for. If you're going to bend strings you're going to scar your fingerboard on any instrument. This is normal.
    You have got to be kidding me. :rollno: :rolleyes: :rollno:

18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What Woodchuck said.

19. The M- series was total junk for the first 2 years out. Reliability was abhorrent, at best.

That stated, this thread was started by bashing a company for quality control issues. I think it's only natural for people with a dissimilar experience to give their opinion of that company for the benefit of those reading.

Mike

20. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    Funny. You are the first person ive ever seen complain about the build quality of a Korean Spector. Mine is built like a rock. I've had it for 2 years and there isnt a single scratch or nick on it, the cover plate on the back isnt even scratched (not that it would be a quality issue if it was). I've played over 80 gigs with my Korean Spector and it still looks as good as new. It really sounds like your bass has been HEAVILY abused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.