Korg AX1B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Hey
    So I was at one of the local music shops and they had a new Korg AX1B processor for $120. I have been looking for a good multi effects pedal or some singles, and I was wondering if anybody have any experience with this? How does it compare to the zoom 607 or the digitech bp80?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The AX-1B is getting old but I've yet to find a better one under 200$.
    Distortion/drive functions are terrible. Compression is very efficient but a bit hissy. Bypass tends to suck highs and clarity.
    The rest goes from decent to excellent.
    It has a big lot of effects available.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    THe AX1B is fun to play with at home but too noisy for much else. The one item that I really like in the AX1B is Korg's envelope filter/follower. You can get an updated version of that in the Pandora though. The Pandy, while it isn't a floor board is a pretty cool box.

For about the same bread see if you can find an ART Phat Boy. 3 band eq on fixed centers. Gain and limited effects, mostly time based, delay, chorus, verb, flange, it does have a pitch change, harmonist sort of thing that I don't use ... no envelope follower, limited distortion but clean and quiet. ... Built like a tank, has direct out, will function as a pre-amp as well as a floor board. Not as full featured as today's multi-effectors but what it has is usable.

One kind of strange thing it has is a 'Growl feature' bass boost and distortion combined. Only distorts the lows so the highs stay clear. They were trying to achieve an SVT like tone for direct use. I don't know that they succeded but it is an awsome dub patch! Thick and gooey.

I sold my first one, then missed the growl thing. Got another, sold it, missed the growl thing, this one I'm keeping ... duh!