Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg AX1B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IncubusGuy, Aug 11, 2000.

1. IncubusGuy

IncubusGuy

Aug 11, 2000
    Hey. Does anyone on here have a Korg AX1B? I'm looking into getting one and I'd like to know if it's worth the money. Thanks.

-- Incubus Guy

PS - I used to own a zoom 506 and that thing sucked ass. So I know what that is like, so you can use that as an example... Later.

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought one awhile back. I'm not a big effects guy, so I bought it mostly to make practicing more fun and to add spice to my loops (on a Boomerang). The sound quality is pretty good, but I don't think it is roadworthy at all. My guitarist has a Digitech multi-effects that has a metal case and lighted screen which works great, but I would be scared to use the Korg on the road, with its flimsy plastic case and buttons. It is fun to edit the sounds. I found that I ditched a lot of the presets and made simpler ones: basic phaser, flanger, etc. Not bad for the money.

3. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I love mine. I think its great for the money. dont use It much but if I ever want an effect its there.I practice through it when I dont have an amp handy. Hell I even recorded though it a couple I times when I didnt have an amp handy. I bought mine instead of the zoom 506. The expression pedal is sweet.If your not using it for wahh and stuff you can make it a volume pedal. I bought a Stereo 1/4 to 2 mono 1/4 adapter so I can do stereo stuff.Its cool when I use it

4. Super Chicken

Super Chicken

Aug 17, 2000
    super F&cking sweet!!!!!!I highly recomend one!!!!!!

5. deceptikaun

deceptikaun

Aug 19, 2000
    Does everybody's korg ax1b work exactly like it's supposed to? I can't get mine to sample, therefore I can't use any of the cool looping effects. It supposedly records a sample when you press the expression pedal forward on any loop/scratch/backward effect. A friend of mine has the guitar version and his doesn't do it either. How does everyone use their sampler? Does it take any programming or is it a factory preset? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

6. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Ill explain this the best I can.... bear with me..
    You dont just put the peddle in the forward posistion. You have to sort of step hard on the peddle, as if it is a wah peddle and your turning it off. Make any sense?It would be easier to show you.
    anyway, when you step hard forward on the peddle, the red LED will come on. Then it will start recording when you hit your first note. Hope this helps. ;)

7. Free Rider

Free Rider

Aug 21, 2000
    Hi! I own one: it's pretty nice (good tuner too), but if you're looking for a serious multieffect the best choice is always a rack effect or some good old boss pedal switches :)...
    Anyway Korg has a lot of good presets and effects, but I think there's a lack of sound quality ought to noise.
    But I think that the real thing that's wrong on this product are pedals: they're just too little and close, and I often press the wrong one, and the only way of coming back to the clean sound is to bypass, since you must go up and down through the presets 'till you find the right one :(... and it's no pretty thing if you're playing live...
    Hope I've been useful
    ----
    P.s.: I'm gonna change to a boss synth pedal switch, do you know anything about this?

8. Love mine, it is the only effects pedal i use on a regular bases.

warrplayer likes this.
  9. Mine works great. I added a LED light to the display, the only down fall with it is it does not have a lighted display.

10. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    After 15 years I'm thinking the OP may have moved on. :)

J-Dub and Onofre like this.
  11. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    This is funny. I dug one up tonight in the studio that's hardly been used and searched to find some info on it and found this thread. I didn't realize someone just recently commented on a 15 year old thread until it was pointed out. Likewise I guess the recent posters didn't realize it was 15 years old.

J-Dub likes this.
  12. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'll chime in on the 15 year old that, as it was about 15 years ago I used a Korg AX1B!

While certainly no [insert boutique builder here], it's a great little pedal. For me, it was THE pedal that taught me about tweaking (for better or worse) and getting multiple tones out of one bass.

I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get their feet wet in effects. That was 15ish years ago for me though...150ish pedals later and I'm still searching. You have been warned.

[EDIT] It appears I actually had the AX5B, but the same principle still applies.

13. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Shoot. I still sometimes use my Korg PX4B pandora for recording. I run a nice compressor into it and I only use the amp and speaker models and the dry air or wet air ambience setting. if I want any other fx I get them elsewhere, but the basic amp sounds are quite good in a mix.