Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg "bass track canceling" ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fender58, Jun 10, 2003.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Korg PX3B Toneworks Pandora's Box. I have heard that you can " A newly developed bass canceller lets you erase the bass sound from a song that is input from the AUX IN jack, allowing you to add your own bass playing to the performance.

How does this work? Does it work well? Can I do the same thing with ProTools?

I saw this on the <http://www.prosoundreview.com> website

Thanks, Danny

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is like the karaoke effect on boomboxes, usually achieved with phase inversion/cancellation and/or notch filtering/EQing. The quality/effectiveness depends heavily on the mix of the source track.

There should be plugins for protools, there definitely are some for VST/DX.

Hint: If you intend to buy the Pandora just because of that effect - don't!

3. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I am not sure what that box costs? I don't think I would spend any $ on it or any box like it at this point. I am guessing that even if I was given one I would only use it until the novelty wore off. I had a Boss guitar multi pedal once and it was great for it's phrase trainer.

I have been able to get close to quieting certain tracks, be them vocals or instr., by using the EQ's in Pro Tools Free that I have. I have not tried phase inversion yet, but will give it a try if it's offered in the Pro Tools Free plug-ins.

,Danny

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    These things are usually just a high-pass filter which let the high frequencies through but try to block the low ones. Don't get the inpression that it will magically remove the bass track and leave everything else unaffected. It will also supress anything else that contains low freqiencies ie kick drum, some keyboard effects. It will also take some warmth away from the vocals and the overall mix.

But here's the catch, you can still hear a thin high remnant of a bass line and a clappy little kick drum. Almost as though someone walked up to your bass rig, disconnected the speakers, but left the horn on.