Korg D1200

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Funkateer, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Anybody out there using one? Am considering purchasing one. I like the USB, 40GB drive, and 24 bit features. How is the UI? They tout ease-of-use. Ease of cut/copy/paste is important to me.
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Scope the Tascam 788 as well. The 2 track in limitation on the Korg is a killer for me (no live re-mixable drums ? Not in my rig thank you).

The 788 is pretty open as well. With the new 2,x ROM installed you have wav import / export. That means that you can port your work to other platforms (like Protools) and collaborate with non-Tascam users. I haven't actually done that yet but there are folks on the Tascam BBS who seem to have done it with success.

Basically around 700 bucks get's you 6 in (analog line / musical instrument) and aux in's as well for simultaneous recording. 24 bit or 16 bit. If you run out of in's, purchase another one as they link through midi and one acts as a master controlling the whole she-bang.

You do have to purchase the Tascam CD/RW or CD/R which is more expensive than a generic but the whole rig 788, CD/RW, a mic - pre and a mic will run you around a grand. You don't have to do it all at once of course but realistically you will do all that fairly quickly.

I bought mine at GC about 2 years ago. I did a pretty extensive comparison with Korg, Akai and Roland (vs-880 & 840). All of these units sounded good to me. The Tascam was hands down the most 'analog recorder' like. I had three tracks done in the time it took me to figure out how to start the Roland... The Akai is pretty cool but lacks factory support and the unit itself was buggy back then. Good user community though almost self supporting. The Korg dropped from the list due to the i/o limitation. So The Tascam won out. There is a pretty active user community on the Tascam bulletin board. You might want to scope that out and get a feeling for what folks are doing with their units.

Last but not least. I had a working home studio in the analog world based on a Tascam 80-8. That beast served me phenomenally well... and whenever I needed a part Tascam was there. Having strong factory support is a real plus for Tascam in my book. On the other hand, maybe this isn't really a fair comparison but Korg hasn't been all that great with support for my Poly 800 synth. I don't really need all that much support though and when I want it I know some other users. Doesn't make me feel better about Korg though.
    Whew ...
  3. I have the D1200. I love it so far, but I can see how it might be limiting for recording a full drum set live. It can record 4 tracks simultaneously, but only 2 of the inputs are XLR; the other 2 are quarter-inch. For me that hasn't been a problem, since the only percussion I use is hand stuff (congas, djembe, etc.) and I record them all one take at a time.

I'm not sure I would say the Korg is easy to use, but it isn't hard either. I'm no technological genius, and I've figured out most of it. The manual is pretty good. What I've read is that the Boss units are among the easiest to use, but I haven't tried them.

If you haven't already, you might check out this website: http://www.korgboards.com/. It isn't operated by Korg, but there's a lot of good information there.