Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

korg d16

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mcguin, Aug 12, 2001.

1. mcguin

mcguin

Aug 6, 2001
    de islands mon
    hi all
    anyone using a korg d16??
    i'd like to compare notes and comments
    thanks
    dan

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hey Dan,

Just did a search on D16 to find out who else has one. I have one for almost a year now, and I'm just starting to really dig into it. I'd be game to compare notes... what are your thoughts on it? I went from computer hard disk recording to this, and was a little thrown. I had been used to seeing everything I did in front of me, and the korg spooked me a bit. I've yet still to record something I'm really happy with on it, but I believe the machine has the capacity to put out top notch recordings. How r u doin so far?

3. mcguin

mcguin

Aug 6, 2001
    de islands mon
    i'm out for the next week - let me get back to you in a week
    thanks
    dan

4. brk11976

brk11976

Dec 12, 2001
    middletown NY
    hey guys , i have the korg d-12. i know its a step under the d-16 but im sure its got alot of the same features , i am still learning all the ins and outs of it. its is a great pice of equipment.has its good and bads over all im enjoying it from effects to eq. let me know if you have any questions.

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm pretty sure the D12 is just about the same as the D16. As I said, I just started digging into mine. Finally learned how to program drums. The owners manual leaves a lot to be desired. It took me a lot of frustration before I finally figured out how to program them - and then to play the songs I programmed - which was a trick in itself. I'm happy now though.

I do have a question. Before the D16 I had a Digidesign Session 8 (16 bit). It was hard disk recording that I ran off of a PC with Windows 3.1 - point being, my system was a Dinosaur. After learning the Digidesign system I was able to get some pretty high quality recordings out of it. Recorded some CDs that after mastering held up major label CDs.

Thus far I've been unable to get anything out of the D16 that sounds better than a decent demo. My recordings sound almost as if I'm doing them on a 4 track (granted I haven't recorded much yet on it). Is it possible to get true quality recordings out of these machines, or am I kidding myself? Are these recorders really just high tech demo notebooks, or are they capable of recording marketable CDs?

Any input is appreciated.

PS. I wouldn't use the internal drums that I just learned to program on a serious recording.

6. brk11976

brk11976

Dec 12, 2001
    middletown NY
    well to answer your question, i think you can get a decent quality recording done . as of last night i just got the hang of the mastering effects. im not sure what the 16 has for mastering effects, i have two masterrrs on the 12 , with a final master . i just put it all together ( few things left ) and it sounds amazing. my only problem is when i try to send it to my computer , to add some other effects to the track i get this horrible low end hiss and its muffled . any ideas why that it ?? the 12 doesnt come with the burner you have to get it seperate , so im stuck with useing my computer . let me know if you can help out with this..
    also , how do you program the drums?? do you use one steady drum track or can you program fills / rolls?

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Sounds like it's the same system minus 4 tracks. I've got the same amount of effects. I haven't hooked it up to my computer yet, so I don't know anythig at all about that - and I'm not sure if the D12 has programable drum tracks. The D16 has a tempo/rhythm button that takes you to the drum section. If you have it, the owners manual gives you all the basics. I'd be happy to help if you got stuck.

If either one of you guys wants to email me instead of discussing stuff on the TB board, you can email me at nervemail@aol.com. Here is fine too.

PS. Sorry if it takes me a while to respond, I often get caught up in other stuff, but I'll always respond. I want to be in contact with other users of this equipment.